Can 'My Book Live' exist ONLY on Wireless?

I’ve been looking for a cheaper alternative to the Apple Time Capsule - basically a wireless NAS. I need to put a backup drive in my garage, which it would be impossible to hard wire with ethenet. My wireless reaches it without a problem though. I’d rather not put a PC in there with a wireless link, a little overkill. 

Can the My Book Live connect to a wireless network and be available as a backup location? I have a feeling it’s got to be connected to your ethernet but can only be seen over wireless…

• C

Well, there’s a couple of options here.

If you’re asking if you can plug a USB dongle into the MBL, no, you can’t.

But you could use a WiFi bridge, which plugs into the ETHERNET jack of the MBL, and then connects the MBL as a WiFi client to your WiFi network.

Or you might consider a PowerLine AV like the WD Livewire.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Well, there’s a couple of options here.

If you’re asking if you can plug a USB dongle into the MBL, no, you can’t.

But you could use a WiFi bridge, which plugs into the ETHERNET jack of the MBL, and then connects the MBL as a WiFi client to your WiFi network.

Or you might consider a PowerLine AV like the WD Livewire.

I don’t think that’s what he’s asking.

I think he’s asking can he access his My Book Live from a computer that’s wireless. If I’m understanding him correctly than the answer is “Yes”. You hard-wire the MBL into your router, and any device on the network (computers, digital frames, etc.) can access the drive assuming it supports either Samba (most if not all personal computers, many media players and TVs, etc.) or media servers (Digital Frames, music players, game consoles, etc.) - how those devices are connected to the network is (mostly) irrelevant.

Hi Guys,

Sorry, maybe I didn’t describe this very well. But I think this answers my question:

I suppose my question is ‘Can the MBL work as a wireless client’ so that’s it’s not physically wired into anything, just connected wirelessly to the network in the same way an iPhone or Laptop (or Time Capsule!) is.

It seems the answer is no, and so needs a Bridge enabled WAP to turn it into such a device.

Thanks!