Can movie files on WD Passport Ultra 4T drive play directly on television through USB port?

Can digital files that are stored on Western Digital Passport 4T backup drive be played directly on television through the USB port? (I am not using the Passport 4T drive for a timed backup.) I have been able to copy the files onto a Scan Disk using a card reader for USB, and .mp4 and .mov files play very clearly on my television so I am hoping I can play the files straight from the Passport backup drive. The Samsung TV recognizes that the drive is connected, but doesn’t show that there are any files present on the drive even though those same files play on the TV from Scan disk using a disk reader and they also play fine on my computer straight from the 4T Western Digital Passport Ultra - I even tried re-formating the Passport 4T drive with APFS format instead of just Mac format and the TV still doesn’t recognize that there are any files on the drive. I would appreciate any suggestions and/or knowing if it is possible to play the .mp4 or .mov files on Samsung TV through HDMI connector via the USB Port directly from the WD Passport Ultra.

Yes. Use a DLNA player of your choice to stream it from your network, I got a Netgear setup / 2 Gigabit routers R6250/R6300 Both routers have USB ports I plug my 4tb in one router and stream all through the house. I have a samsung tv as well from my exp unless its hard wired in eth0 dont even waste your time. It will keep crashing. Your issue isnt the drive, Its your network setup…You can only stream as fast as your access point. im guessing 2.4 wifi to the tv right? Try to wire up the eth0 to the samsung see if that changes…

Edit: also most tv will not see the 4tb as its too large thats why the smaller sd cards are working for your movies and not the usb directly…

It’s also possible that the USB port of the TV can’t supply enough power to spin up the drive properly and make everything accessible. I’ve had something similar in the past (with a Raspberry Pi Zero) where a powered hub was needed to make it work, otherwise the VCD was seen but the main partition almost always wasn’t.

You may need a powered hub or something like a PiDrive cable (if you can find one) to get it to work.

Otherwise the TV’s manual (or a web search) should tell you what format the drive needs to be in for the TV to read it (some only support specific formats, like FAT32) and also what media formats the internal media player can process and display.

Thank you brannonb for responding to my question - I should have mentioned that I am a Mac user - I’ve been looking into your suggestion and found that DLNA player doesn’t work with Apple products - Evidently Apple products use Airplay App to stream from the mac computer screen to the TV - It used to work only with Apple TVs but evidently works with Samsung Smart TVs now - I haven’t tried Airplay yet but others have said that it will work with Samsung Smart TVs and that is what I have - The app can be purchased at Apple App Store for about $10. Thanks again for responding.

Thanks DarrenHill for your response to my question - I did buy a powered hub ‘Insignia’ and got the same results as using the connected Samsung hub (It recognized the Passport drive but none of it’s contents). I suppose my Passport Ultra 4T drive is formatted in the wrong format for the TV to recognize - I’m still working on a solution - thanks for your input!

Great news DarrenHill - I reformatted the WD Passport Ultra 4T drive to ExFAT format using Partition in Disk Utility on my Mac and recopied my mp4 file onto it, then when I plugged it into the Samsung Powered port - the Samsung Smart TV recognized it and played it beautifully - Thank you so much!! - I so appreciate your suggestion of FAT32 format - since that specific format was not offered as one of the options on my Disk Utility app, I tried the ExFAT format with great success!! The ExFAT format also works on my Mac Mojave OS computer!

Good to hear.

Yes exFat is a good general purpose format to try these days that can be read/written by most modern OS’s.