Can I use HDD from diferent size or an upgraded model?

Hi everyone,

I turn out that after a crash of one of my hdd model WD60EFRX has been corrupted.
Now, i have to buy a new one, but after seeing on the web, there is an upgraded model (WD80EFAX) which just only have more RAM.
So I don’t know if I Could buy a HDD with a different size or could use the upgraded model.
By away, my NAS capacity is 2x6TB

Yes, I believe this will work.

If you have a raid1 configuration, however, you will only be able to use 6TB of the new 8TB drive. (afterall. . .it’s MIRRORED)
At a later date, if you replace the existing 6TB with another 8TB. . . .you can expand the 6TB volume to an 8TB volume after you rebuild the array.

If you have raid 0, or a JBOD configuration you should be fine and don’t have to worry about these details

NOTE: THIS IS IMPORTANT.

MAKE DARN SURE WHATEVER YOU BUY, YOU GET A CMR disk and not an SMR disk. SMR’s are slightly cheaper, but really really underperform and cause real problems.

From what I can see: WD Red Pro NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD 3.5" | Western Digital, the WD80EFAX and the WD60EFRX are both CMR drives. . . so you should be ok.

For more background: Read this: Your WD Red NAS Hard Drives Might Be Using SMR – What You Need To Know – NAS Compares