Can I use an Internal Drive as an External Drive?

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I have a SATA connector, that I had bought to recover files from my laptop hard drive. I was wondering if I could use this with the WD internal drive mentioned above as an external drive?

Considering 2TB is a lot more than my 300gb hard drive, would this WD require a power source or would the connection I have alone be enough to access the hard drive?

Is it recommended to buy an eclosure for internal drives used externally, or if I take good care of it can I avoid buying a case?

Hi well no one really recommends a case for external hard drives anymore as these drives get very hot in a enclosure. What they are useing today is a docking station which the hard drive just slips into and most of the drive is out in the air. Here is a example of what you should use.   http://www.byteccusa.com/product/docking/index.htm . Being carefull is ok 90 % of the time but if the hard drive is just laying there you take a chance of shorting it out if it comes apart. But yes you can use any internal drive as a external.

Your “SATA connector” would need to be able to supply both +12V and +5V power for a 3.5" desktop drive.

Laptop drives typically only use +5V.