Can I Turn Off the "New Firmware Found" Notification?

After reading numerous complaints about how the latest firmware can cause problems with the WDTV Live player, I am concerned that my son or another uninformed but well-intentioned person will install new firmware in response to the “new firmware found” message that appears whenever I start the WDTV Live. Is there a way to make the unit stop displaying this message?

As far as I know there is not a way to do this unless you can avoid the connection to the internet. I too am plagued by this and have had a couple accidental upgrades (still using the original firmware).

dp

Avoid connection to the Internet, eh? That would be OK with me, since I don’t use the YouTube features (and I can’t use Netflix on my “non-Plus” unit… grumble grumble). Wish I was “non-plussed” by that little development! :smileyvery-happy:

So, any ideas on how to keep the WDTV from connecting to the Internet? Maybe I would have to do that through my router?

That’s what I did.   I set a firewall rule to keep the WDTV LIVE from accessing WD’s servers.    I was able to look in my router the first time and see what the IPs were, but I’ve long since removed that rule months ago after the “Brick” fiasco was solved.

If you’re happy to block ALL network content (which I still do on my Living Room Box) a Static IP block on the router is usually pretty simple to accomplish…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

That’s what I did.   I set a firewall rule to keep the WDTV LIVE from accessing WD’s servers.    I was able to look in my router the first time and see what the IPs were, but I’ve long since removed that rule months ago after the “Brick” fiasco was solved.

If you’re happy to block ALL network content (which I still do on my Living Room Box) a Static IP block on the router is usually pretty simple to accomplish…

I know how to create a filter to block internet access to an IP address in my router, but how do I assign a static IP address for the WDTV Live - is that in the network settings?

Thanks for the info.

Yep.  Just use MANUAL instead of AUTOMATIC configuration.