Can I load programs?

Hello, I have a WD my book external HD on my desk top. I use it for Photos and my iTunes collection (almost 1 thousand songs/videos/podcasts). It’s always worked great. I’ve never tried to load a program to it.  Now I have a Dell laptop running windows 7, I just got a WD 1TB My passport essential se. I don’t want to slow down my laptop with programs like Adobe Photoshop essentials, Roxio, and iTunes. Can I load a program onto the WD passport? AND if I can (which I hope because that is the main reason my hubby got it for me)  How do I go about it???

Thank You

I believe you would be able to load the programs on the external but they would not be portable between computers and it might actually be slower. I did it on another external a long time ago because of space. Basicaly you go through the install carefully and when it shows where to install change the drive letter and location. 

I hope you have your stuff stored on a second drive. It’s a bad idea to trust one physical drive with important data. It doesn’t matter if it’s internal or external. If you only have one copy you’re screwed if something bad happens. 

Joe