Can I have a LUN of any size?

Hello,

I recently purchased a ReadyNAS 104 with 4 x 4TB WD Red drives. There’s a 8TB limit when creating iSCSI LUNs.

Does the WD My Cloud EX4 have any limit?

With my 16GB of drives, how much of the 10.6GB (which is what I get in reality) will I be able to use as one iSCSI drive attached to a Windows Server?

Thanks for any advice.

David

Hi David

within My Cloud OS there is no limitation for iSCSI LUN size - expect your maximum capacity of the RAID array.
You can setup a LUN for iSCSI to use the whole available capacity. Doing this, please note that you cannot use as NAS anymore as there will be not capacity left for NAS file sharing.

Hello,
That’s good to know, thanks. I don’t need any shares. I’m backing up Hyper-V VMs using Veeam, across a WAN link to a HP Microserver. It needs more space and this seems a good way to do it.

Can you just confirm that it will take the WD Red 4TB drives and I will get 10.8TB of storage in a RAID 5 config.

Thanks,

David

Hi David

4 x 4 TB (= 16 TB brut) in RAID 5 are 3 x 4 TB for data and 1 x 4 TB for paritty == a bit below 12 TB net capacity in use. “12 TB net” are calculated in decimal, not binary!

So, yes, you should expext your 10.8 TB being avalaibale in a 4 x 4 TB RAID 5 array.

Hi,

Excellent, thanks for your help. I’ll buy one.

David

1 Like