Can I Hard Drive to my ATT &T U-Verse

This is all new to me. I have ATT &T u-verse. My of my purchased movies are backed up on my hard drive. Will the WD drives some how connect to the u-verse so I can watch my movies on my TV, which is connected to the u-verse box. If drive is a sata I would see the possibility to do a hookup. What would it take, technically, to accomplish this. My genius kid said  “Dad it can’t be done”. Be nice to one up him.

Bob

Don’t know much about  “ATT &T u-verse” but at a _ guess _…

Your purchased movies through this service, are more than likely to have DRM   (which WD Devices won’t play)

hey, i could be wrong  :neutral_face:   (but, gut feeling says No) 

(Off-Topic Side Note: My Panasonic TV can Record TV to an Attached HDD … which is great !  Except, the Format is “Proprietary” and won’t play on my WD or PC for that matter. Grr)

This service seems a lot like my Comcast cable with a DVR in the STB.  So, what do I do if I really want to save a program that’s on the DVR?  From cable box A/V outputs, I can record it to my DVD recorder (although not exactly the same quality and format as the HD program, but pretty darn good. }  Once onto an eraseable DVD, I can convert it to an ISO file and store it and watch it off the WDTV drive.  Kind of labor intensive, so done infrequently only for really good programs.

I suggest the poster of this thread do same.  A good DVD recorder costs around $100+ or so.  Toshiba made the one I got 3 years ago.

@ mike27oct

This service seems a lot like my Comcast cable with a DVR in the STB.  So, what do I do if I really want to save a program that’s on the DVR?  From cable box A/V outputs, I can record it to my DVD recorder (although not exactly the same quality and format as the HD program, but pretty darn good. }

Translation of  “not exactly the same quality” = SD (Standard Definition) 720x480, 720x576  (DVD Resolution)

HD (High Definition) = 1280x720, 1440×1080, 1920x1080  (Blu-ray Resolution)

Personally, SD doesent look “pretty darn good” to me anymore … but, to each his own :wink:

On the UK Sky DVR you can only save HD programs in SD. Personally I find most programs are perfectly OK in SD, but there again I grew up in the very low res black and white TV era.

@richUK

but there again I grew up in the very low res black and white TV era.

Me too, i watched the Apollo 11 Moon Landing on a Black and White (Round Tube CRT)

Can’t remember much though, i was only 1 :smileyvery-happy:

HD is here, … no going back  (except, maybe when the 4k and 8k Tv’s arrive … then, i still may go back and watch low res FullHD 1080p)  :wink:

JoeySmyth wrote:

@ mike27oct

This service seems a lot like my Comcast cable with a DVR in the STB.  So, what do I do if I really want to save a program that’s on the DVR?  From cable box A/V outputs, I can record it to my DVD recorder (although not exactly the same quality and format as the HD program, but pretty darn good. }

Translation of  “not exactly the same quality” = SD (Standard Definition) 720x480, 720x576  (DVD Resolution)

HD (High Definition) = 1280x720, 1440×1080, 1920x1080  (Blu-ray Resolution)

Personally, SD doesent look “pretty darn good” to me anymore … but, to each his own :wink:

Ahem. . . the output from the DVD recorder is 1080p.  I did not say the output was SD. The reason I said what I did was because the recorder displays wide screen video in a letterbox (so as to fit any kind of screen) , so I need to put the TV on zoom for full widescreen view.

Anyway, if someone wants to save the videos residing on a DVR, I only suggested a way to do it that works for me. 

but there again I grew up in the very low res black and white TV era<<

I got cha. I used to set around the radio and liston to the squeaking door & William Tel Ovature.

I’m not so much interested in down loading content. I only want to play my movies from a hard drive that holds my collection.

Bob

Maybe this is the wrong place for my question. Is there a better format, fprum, for my question? ATT was no help at all. I only want to play my hard drive movies on my TV.

Bob

Maybe try this Forum

http://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-U-verse-Community/ct-p/attuverse