Can I get Plex or Chromecast to run on Mycloud

Up until reason I was using Plex on my laptop to run my movies (any) and cast them to my TV. I still have Chromecast and would like a way to them to work together with minimal fuss if thats possible? At the moment I can only view mp4 movies on my ipad and macbook air. Is there a workaround to watch all my movie formats on my macbook and can I cast them with chromecast? Alternativley can I put the Plex server on the WD mycloud and use that watch and cast my movies? 

Chromecast aside I want to be able to stream my movie formats on my apple productes without changing the the formats of all my movies to mp4

I can source my movies from mycloud that are on my laptop which runs plex, but the laptop has to be always on to do this. 

I don’t think the MyCloud has the ability to run Plex, XBMC/Kodi or anything similar.

For Android there is an app called BubbleUpnp that can play media from the MyCloud.  You have to navigate folders to get to your media but it works.  BubbleUpnp can also toss the videos to Chromecast.  This works great as well as LocalCast.  I don’t know if these apps are available for iProducts.  Just search for DLNA in the app store, you’ll find something.

I’ve heard of people tossing the Twonky software from the MyCloud and running MiniDLNA.  Never tried it.

dx052 wrote:

Up until reason I was using Plex on my laptop to run my movies (any) and cast them to my TV. I still have Chromecast and would like a way to them to work together with minimal fuss if thats possible? At the moment I can only view mp4 movies on my ipad and macbook air. Is there a workaround to watch all my movie formats on my macbook and can I cast them with chromecast? Alternativley can I put the Plex server on the WD mycloud and use that watch and cast my movies? 

Chromecast aside I want to be able to stream my movie formats on my apple productes without changing the the formats of all my movies to mp4

I can source my movies from mycloud that are on my laptop which runs plex, but the laptop has to be always on to do this. 

What formats?  You are confusing containers and formats.

If you want plex on a NAS, go drop $400+ on a barebones NAS that can do transcoding.

Hello,

I have a solution: the app BubbleUPNP for Chromecast. It transcodes audio on the go. However, the perfect solution would be to install BubbleUPNP Server on the NAS to let it do the transcode and not the phone, however it is not possible since we can’t install “regular” packages on v4 firmware.

You can support my request here: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Repository-with-software-worked-on-v4-firmware/td-p/829720/highlight/false/page/12