Can I assign a drive letter to my "MyCloud" drive from outside my home network?

This question undoubtedly shows my complete newbie status. 

I have loaded my new 3TB MyCloud with my very large (2 TB) collection of family and historic photos.  I can access them by various means from within my home network, but usually, I just assign the MyCloud drive a drive letter and treat it as if it was a drive plugged directly into my home computer.

I would like to do exactly the same thing from my work computer.   I can see the drive from outside my home network using WD’s desktop app, and I almost have gotten to the point where I can FTP to it from outside the home network, but I would like to assign a drive letter to it on my work computer.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Of course you can,

http://www.hosting.com/support/nas/mount-a-nas-share-as-a-drive-letter-in-windows/

Tom_Mann wrote:

I would like to assign a drive letter to it on my work computer.

Is this possible?

Tom

Yes, it’s possible via the wdmycloud.com website.

However, the mapping usually won’t persist across reboots of your PC (You’ll need to do it each time you reboot, and even if you log off your PC.)

Keep in mind that remote access via this method behaves very differently than if it’s on your own network.

Thanks for the quick response.

“Yes, it’s possible via the wdmycloud.com website.”

Do you mean the web-based drive management interface?  If you do, I must have missed it because that’s the 1st place I looked.

“…However, the mapping usually won’t persist across reboots of your PC (You’ll need to do it each time you reboot, and even if you log off your PC.)…”

No problem - I can live with that.

“…Keep in mind that remote access via this method behaves very differently than if it’s on your own network…”

Could you explain in what way it behaves differently? 

Thanks again,

Tom

Tom_Mann wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.

“Yes, it’s possible via the wdmycloud.com website.”

Do you mean the web-based drive management interface?  If you do, I must have missed it because that’s the 1st place I looked.

No, I mean the wdmycloud.com website.  

Thanks.  I look there.

Tom

Ahh, now I remember … When I tried to log in to that site early in this process, I gave up and pursued other approaches because Firefox wouldn’t display most things from that site, stating that it is worried about the security vulnerabilities with the Java deployment toolkit.  I’ll try some things including different browsers.

T

Humm … I tried Safari, and didn’t get the “Java deployment toolkit” warning, saw the notice that I had 4 shares, but it wouldn’t let me see them.  That’s why I went with the WD My Cloud desktop application.  I can see everything on it, but it’s extremely limited compared to what I could do if I could assign a drive letter to it.

Any thoughts?

T

If you’re using a Mac, not much more I can offer.   I don’t use Macs.

Try chrome.

Tom_Mann wrote:

Ahh, now I remember … When I tried to log in to that site early in this process, I gave up and pursued other approaches because Firefox wouldn’t display most things from that site, stating that it is worried about the security vulnerabilities with the Java deployment toolkit.  I’ll try some things including different browsers.

T

Actually, the security warnings are from Java, not particular to Firefox.  If you get this:

Then click on “Check for updates” which will take you to the Firefox Plugins status, then you can update Java.

Once you update then you will get this:

firefox_wd_java.jpg

This just means that Java doesn’t reconize the certificate of the website, but if you trust the site you can just click on “I accept the risk and want to run this application”.

As well, IE will give you the same warning, but will automatically kick you over to the Java update page if you haven’t updated Java.

Java in Chrome does pretty much the same thing with this:

and then Java will popup the same “Security Warning” message as shown above.