Can I access a MY Book hard drive plugged into a WD TV Live from another WD TVLive on the network?

Is it possible to access media on a 3TB WD Mybook USB hard drive that is piggybacked onto a WD TV Live from another WD TV Live on the same network?

yeah, WD will share out attached drives using smb

although performance, who knows

very annemic cpu in WD

and lots of unknown network factors that will be specific to your network

Scott2000 wrote:

Is it possible to access media on a 3TB WD Mybook USB hard drive that is piggybacked onto a WD TV Live from another WD TV Live on the same network?

I have a 3TB Mybook plugged in to my WDTV Live Hub (in turn connected to my router) in lounge and WDTV SMP in bedroom (16 metres and 3 internal wall away) has no problem accessing it via wifi.

Cheers

Thanks!  I’ll give it a try, I have four locations to install the wd tv live devices which will all directly connect hardwired back to a 10/100 verizon router (may have to work in a 100/1000 switch for the intranet at some point).  I’ll end up using the devices regardless, but wd live hubs are becoming hard to come by since wd is transitioning to a new model and have not released it yet.

Great, appreciate the reply.

I bought a second wd tv live and have it connected to the network wirelessly, I notice a slight lag with the wireless on the menu navigation in comparison to the other wd tv live I have hard wired back to the router, but the movies on the 3TB My Book attached to the hardwired wd tv live stream perfectly to the wireless wd tv live.  Also netflix streams perfectly on the wireless wd tv live.  I will eventually hard wire the second one, but it works well enough as is.  It is just a personal preference to hard wire the network connection.