Can a G-Raid Studio thunderbolt be upgraded with bigger hard drives?

Title says it all, I have a G-Raid Studio Thunderbolt with two 3Tb hard drives in Raid-1 configuration, which I would like to upgrade with bigger hard drives. I typically like WD enterprise hard drives, and I would probably choose either 6Tb or 8Tb hard drives, what considerations do I need to keep?

Is there a procedure that I can follow in which I first replace one of them and then, after synchronizing the RAID-1 volume I can replace the other drive, and THEN be able to see the additional space?

TIA

The G-RAID Studio can be upgraded. Our standard path for upgrade is to purchase the higher capacity versions of the drives listed on the Accessories section of the product page. They come with the carrier included.

The process for upgrading them would require you to add both of the new drives at the same time, you could not do it in a step process like you outlined. Take out both 3s and put in two 6s or 8s then start using it.

The RAID configuration software won’t support synchronizing to one drive at a time and increasing the capacity.

I have the same question / desire. I have 4GB Raid Studio Thunderbolt and want to increase total capacity to at least 8GB and maybe more if possible. IT sounds like you are saying that I have to back up the Studio completely, then replace both drives and then repopulate them from the backup. Is this correct?

Yes,

Best solution is to load the data elsewhere, put in 2 new drives of higher capacity, build the RAID. Then transfer the data back to the new drive.

Can you upgrade using off-the-shelf drives? Do they come pre-formatted from G-Technology?

G-Technology formats the drive for Mac out of the box, that is the only thing we do to them. If you wish to change the drives you will need to use the configurator and the erase the drives in order for them to work.