Can a drive larger than 4TB (5TB, 6TB, or 8TB) be added to the DS5100 if you edit the drivelist file?

Just trying to find out if anyone has added a drive larger than 4TB (5Tb, 6TB or 8TB) in a DS5100 or DS6100 by editing the drive file? I also read on here somewhere that a firmware upgrade was coming out to get rid of the drive list, is this correct?

Please bear in mind such proceedings are not warranted or supported by Western Digital.

With the latest firmware (2.2.10.18) the DriveList still exists, but it is not enforced (AFAICT). I just installed an unsupported SSD as my boot drive, and it boots and behaves just fine, albeit with an Invalid Drive warning.

I fixed that by adding another entry to the whitelist, and now even this drive shows up as preferred.

So please try this with a big HDD and let us know the results.

Good work ! Thanks

I added 5TB Black drives to my DS5100. With added entry in DriveList.xml file they work fine.
Little disappointed in the drive space. With 4 - 5TB drives installed, it only gives me 12TB. I would have thought I would get 15TB. With 4 - 2TB drives it only gives 4.83TB. At least they work now.

Are you using storage spaces or RAID? Spaces is strange
https://www.eightforums.com/general-support/16615-confused-storage-spaces-parity-free-space.html

Spaces. With these 5TB drives it did not give me the option to pick RAID.

IRC you have to reset the box to get the choice raid or spaces. Once you select one or the other that is it

I was able to configure RAID 5 using both the 2TB drives and the 5TB drives. Through the WD RAID Storage Utility I tell it to initialize the array. The 5TB drives took from Friday until Monday to finish initializing OVER 3 DAYS to initialize! 2TB Drives took over a day to initialize.

Storage spaces is very fast, like less than a minute to setup. There was an option to format as NTFS or ReFS. I setup as ReFS. Seems like Microsoft has made progress on the filesystem from 2012 R2 to 2016. (I’m running 2016 Essentials)