Buy now or wait for next-gen?

Any advice about buying today or waiting?

I’m a Live Plus owner, and want something with local storage like the Hub.  I hate buying something only to have the newer version released shortly after.

Any advice?  Wait or buy now?

No here one knows when the “Newer Version” will be released, or what features it will have.

If you buy the TV Live Hub for it’s local storage there are some remarks. 

Getting stuff to the local storage takes a lot of time. I don’t use the local storage. All my media files are stored on a NAS.

I don’t know what a next gen will bring. 

I say keep your WD Live Plus and upgrade to an HTPC build for the same price as an updated streamer!!  I’d say for about $250-300 bucks will get you something tailor made.  The prices on these streaming machines are beginning to bug me especially when they dont perform as you expect!  

OG_CpTHOOK wrote:

I’d say for about $250-300 bucks will get you something tailor made.

$250 bucks???   Good luck with THAT!  :smileyvery-happy:

MoBo, CPU and Memory ALONE will cost you close to $250.

Add a hard drive and a graphics card (assuming that the onboard graphics don’t have the required specs)… that’s another $150 to $200 (conservatively) 

Now, down-size the Mobo to a MicroATX form-factor (unless you want a full-size PC tower in your entertainment center) and add a case and a micro ATX power supply…  there’s another $150 bonus.

Don’t forget that, unless you’re wanting to be illegal with all your hacked media, you have to have a licensed copy of Windows (unless you’re going to care and feed a linux box)…  $199.

So, out of the gate, you’re talking $700… conservatively.  :smileyvery-happy:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

OG_CpTHOOK wrote:

I’d say for about $250-300 bucks will get you something tailor made.

$250 bucks???   Good luck with THAT!  :smileyvery-happy:

MoBo, CPU and Memory ALONE will cost you close to $250.

Add a hard drive and a graphics card (assuming that the onboard graphics don’t have the required specs)… that’s another $150 to $200 (conservatively) 

Now, down-size the Mobo to a MicroATX form-factor (unless you want a full-size PC tower in your entertainment center) and add a case and a micro ATX power supply…  there’s another $150 bonus.

Don’t forget that, unless you’re wanting to be illegal with all your hacked media, you have to have a licensed copy of Windows (unless you’re going to care and feed a linux box)…  $199.

So, out of the gate, you’re talking $700… conservatively.  :smileyvery-happy:

That won’t do much… 

Just look at the Hardware Requirements for XBMC.

For one thing, that $270 box won’t even do HD video because it has a Celeron processor.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Supported_hardware

LMAO:smileyvery-happy:, I figured that would be your comeback without the benefit of homework!  but this is your community so much respect due…  But facts are facts, and the fact is, the builds your referring to are fully capable of HD streaming as well as 7.1 HD audio, maybe no HD Audio Bitstreaming but we paid $199 for the HUB and how long did we have to wait for that.  But wait, they only gave us half HD Bistreaming kuz all we have is DD True!

Not trying to go back and forth, just trying to point out different options for the same prices of these streamers!!  Shhiii, if you ask me, the streaming community is going to boom within the next few years with the rising prices of cable and the HULU, NETFLIX options ect…ect!!  So why not upgrade your network with a machine that produces just as much as these streamers can and sometimes even more within the same price range… and what if my HUB/Live crashes, well good luck finding spare parts to fix it and believe me, this forum is filled with folks who have had major issues that warrant replacement headaches or simply have become additions to the great streamer heaven in the sky! 

You can debate price, but how much will you pay for HULU plus…and other media options that cost money using streamers as supposed to a SFF DIY HTPC.

…in short, im not recommending the poster replace his streaming options but do a premier media player upgrade to his network…streamers will most always fall short!

OG_CpTHOOK wrote:

LMAO:smileyvery-happy:, I figured that would be your comeback without the benefit of homework! 

Homework?   Heck, all I had to do was read down four posts where the guy who suggests that build reminds folks about the fact that MEMORY and HD are NOT included in that price.

… and on post 24, he says it does NOT bitstream digital audio.

… and it does NOT include an operating system.  And without Windows O/S, NetFlix won’t work.

… he even says it’s a group 5 build!

C’mon.  Tell me I’m wrong.   :smileyvery-happy:

… oh, almost forgot.   The main reason it will do SOME HD, due to the Celeron, is likely if the stream is DXVA compliant.

The only real improvements that could be made would be faster CPU, maybe wireless integration etc.

As far as what the device plays, that isnt really going to change is it.

It supports the latest audio and video formats.

Hi,

i think i wait to the HImedia 900 B Mediaplayer, comes out mid October for ~ 150,- €. My Hub Freeze all the Time six from ten Movies…

Regards

gerd