BUG v1.01.11 - HDMI->DVI stuck on 480p on WDTV Live

same problem. hdmi → dvi. to NEC LCD4000

maybe this can work?

wdlive ----hdmi----- reciever(onky…) -----hdmi → dvi----- TV?

i would try, but i dont have a hdmi-cabel… :frowning:

**bleep** it :frowning:

tried now with a hdmi cable

wdlive - hdmi - reciever(onkyo 506) - hdmi->DVI - NEC TV

nothing changes - only 480p.

■■■■ :frowning:

1.02.14 → only 480p :frowning:

Output is stuck at 480p with  HDMI->DVI here too.

Need a fix WD!

Hallo, i have the same problems. HDMI → DVI, 1.01.24

any solution?

plz help!

Any response WD?

Same problem here with WD TV HD, firmware version 1.01.77 (latest available). I can change all the video settings but the ouput is always 640x480 (480p). I need to know if there’s a workaround or a firmware update in a few days. Otherwise I’ll return it. Thanks

Laurent wrote:

I’ve been using a WD TV player in 1080p 60 Hz without problem for 1 year. Today I’ve bought a WD TV Live and the video was locked to 480p. I’m using the same screen and the same cable that I was using with the old WD TV.

I’ve updated to the 1.01.11 firmware, and it say video mode is in 1080p/60Hz but display is still in 480p.

I guess I will have to bring back the player to the shop and continue to use the old WD TV even if I’m tired of converting the DTS to AC3 for all my movies.

Can I ask you what version is your old WD TV?  .  I just bought a new one with latest firmware and I get the same 480p with HDMI-DVI cable you are getting with the WD TV Live.  I’m thinking maybe I can downgrade to an older FW version if that fixes it…

Thank you

Everyone,

I’m passing this thread along to others for review.  The engineers may not have known about this.

1 Like

Bill_S wrote:

Everyone,

I’m passing this thread along to others for review.  The engineers may not have known about this.

Thank you for that.  By the way, I have found in this or other forums (can’t remember) that Customer Support has said that nowhere in the product says that DVI is supported (eventhough the HDMI standard says that HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI).  Anyway today I was checing the manual that I dowloaded from the WD website and there’s a whole page (page 16) indicating how to connect the WD TV to a DVI capable TV set.  So that argument is just invalid.

Luckily I HAVE FOUND a fix to the problem of being stuck to 480p.  It might not fit you though but this is something you might want to check.  I was fiddling with my TV’s video settings (5 ayer old LCD Sharp AQUOS 32") .  Interestingly there was a lot of options for the “PC” connector (DVI in reality).  It was originally set to “PC digital” which caused to default to 480p.  But I could also configure it to “AV Digital” and “AV Analog”.  Setting it to " AV Digita l" I could set the TV up to 1080i !!! (1080P is not supportd by the TV).  The image quality is just great now.

So if you are as as desperate as I was, go through all your TV’s config options before throwing the towel.

Javier

1 Like

Hobster wrote:

Thank you for that.  By the way, I have found in this or other forums (can’t remember) that Customer Support has said that nowhere in the product says that DVI is supported (eventhough the HDMI standard says that HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI).  Anyway today I was checing the manual that I dowloaded from the WD website and there’s a whole page (page 16) indicating how to connect the WD TV to a DVI capable TV set.  So that argument is just invalid.

Are you sure you are reading the ‘WDTV Live’ manual because on my page 16 it only mentions how to connect HDMI and in fact there is no mention of DVI anywhere in the manual.

I just looked at the ‘WDTV’ manual which is different to the LIve and that does make mention of DVI on page 16. Confusing I know but customer support is therefore correct.

Hi!

I also got the exact same problem, i.e. stuck with 480p no matter what resolution I configure on my WD TV Live running firmware version 1.01.24.

I’m pretty deperate for a solution, any news from the tech people at WD yet?

they responded

"Thank you for your reply.

I spoke with our engineers and unfortunately, HDMI → DVI is unsupported at this time because DVI does not support the same functionality negotiation communications as HDMI."

Thats too bad, especially since DVI-D is said to be pin-compatible with HDMI.

I just now realized that my problem is somewhat different since I don’t use DVI but HDMI directly to the television set.

Maybe I’ll start another thread on this issue.

1 Like

I suggest you purchase Gen1 wdtv.  It does not have the hdmi-dvi bug.  While it lacks some of the feature of wdtv live, it is very stable.  I have both players, they’re great.  Hopefully at some point in the future, they’ll have the problem fixed. 

I hope their tech can answer why the 1st Gen wdtv support dvi while the wdtv live doesn’t.   Just makes no sense to me.

1 Like

Has any of you returned the device or thinking of returning it, due to this issue not being addressed?

Firmware  Version 1.02.21

No fix this bug! :((((((

1 Like

i have a HDMI to HDMI-cable, without any converters and my 24" BenQ monitor only runs in 480p mode…

PLS Fix this problem otherwise i had to sell my WDTV Live!!!

Schnuben, I suggest you return the product ASAP.  Too late for me as I bought it months ago and hoping the fix will be soon.  Check this forum once in a while to see if the bug has been fixed and then you can buy it back again.  

THIS WEEKEND  I SOLVED my problem with niles cat5 HDMI.

Hi, I fixed. One of my cable Cat5 had a pair changed.

It worked properly with my HDTV 1080i signal from brazil but does not work with others midias 1080i.

Then i disconnect everything and reconnect testing each conection and i found a problem with the CAT5 connector, one side of the plug had a pair of  the connector changed.

Thanks all

SOLVED.\my problem.

In your case can you try another cable?