BUG Аudio tracks separate file

In the userguide it is written that “Make sure the audio tracks are located in the same folder as the current video”, it doesn’t work.

I have a lot of movies with audio tracks in separate files. But WD TV Live “doesn’t see” them. 

For example,  in my folder there is

-film.mkv

-film.ac3

-film.dts

But I cannot choose audio tracks film.ac3, film.dts. I can put these audio tracks in film.mkv, then I can choose them. But it is very uncomfortable and takes a lot of time.

WD fix it.

That has to be a typo.   It doesn’t make sense to me.   It works fine as long as the audio tracks are in the same FILE. 

I have MKVs with different audio tracks in them.  Example:

1- AC3 5.1

2- AC3 Dolby Digital

3- DTS

4- AC3 2.0 Channel Director’s Commentary 1

5- AC3 2.0 Channel Director’s Commentary 2

These work fine, but each of those tracks are imbedded in the MKV, not separate files.

I would like to get a response from the representatives WD. This is a typo?? This feature was one of the criteria for selecting the media player for me. if this is not a typo, whether hopes to rectify in the next firmware? This function is useful for many!

Lesha wrote:

I would like to get a response from the representatives WD. This is a typo?? This feature was one of the criteria for selecting the media player for me. if this is not a typo, whether hopes to rectify in the next firmware? This function is useful for many!

A response from WD!! Hope you have plenty of patience.

The UserGuide does state “folder” but I agree that it’s most likely a typo.  

I created some test files with a video AVI along with a simple audio MP3 (same file names) but that doesn’t work either.  If the audio isn’t within the same file (container), it won’t be available.  I suppose external sub files get recognised in this manner, so it’s not a leap to expect audio files to be associated when they possess the same filenames…?

As for this feature being “useful for many”… there are probably only a handful of people organising their media this way.  Really don’t see a good reason not to have placed all the files within a single container in the first place - who recommended this to you?

MKVmerge GUI can mux them together in a queue, might save a little time?  If you get creative with some batch files and do it via CLI, might be able to get it done even faster / leave it running overnight (don’t have the skills to help with that, sorry).  How many films are we talking about?

Regardless, the WD TV Live is not the player for you at this time.  There’s a new firmware coming “soon” (based on comments on another forum) but if they’re not aware of this ‘bug’ then it won’t contain a fix, meaning you’ll be waiting at least another month (probably more) before you can play a movie with audio.

Your options seem to be:

1.  Mux the audio into MKV (the way they should be tbh).

2.  Return the WD TV Live and get another player that has confirmed support for your odd needs :wink:

3.  Contact tech support / create a ticket and get an official response / make them aware of the issue and wait it out.

This community forum is primarily for users to help each other.  It’s extremely rare that a WD staff member posts, so complaints and suggestions here are rarely acted upon.

They do allegedly look at the Ideas Exchange though.  Might be worth creating a post there too:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/idb-p/idea

This translation of the versions of films from various studios.

MKVmerge GUI - this way, but a lot of files. Separate subtitles work, but audio tracks separate file not work.

thanks for the answers.

I created “idea” and try contact tech support WD.