Bug - Photo thumbnails are not getting deleted

When I delete a picture from the hub (using the Mochi interface and remote), the thumbnail file for it is not deleted. This is also true if a picture folder is deleted - the thumbnail for the folder is also left behind.

These thumbnail files are located in a hidden folder structure at the root of the network share called .wd_tv\thumb. The thumbnail files are named the same as the photograph but with a .thumb extension tacked on. ‘Picture.jpg.thumb’ for example.

If I then replace the deleted picture with a different picture but with the same name, then the hub displays the new picture but the thumbnail of the old picture.

This is buggy.

If I delete the thumbnail file via the network share, and then browse the hub and view the photo again, the old thumbnail has been restored. It is getting cached somewhere.

The only way I found to permanently delete the old thumbnail is to delete it via the network share, then immediately do a hard power down of the hub. When it is powered up again, and after it recompiles the media library, the thumbnail has been replaced with the correct one.

I can see that this little problem could get rather annoying after a time and many photos were added/deleted/moved/renamed.

Uhhh… the folder is hidden for a reson I would think… not really a bug, more of unintended consequences from going around the proper way of doing things :slight_smile: - If you need to replace a thumbnail simply replace the jpg file on the drive as normal.

I’d like to add to bitfiddler’s comments and request that this bug is dealt with.  I’m particularly having problems with Movie folders - I have a Movies folder with a Movies.jpg image and various movies (Movie 1.mkv) with corresponding jpg files (Movie 2.jpg).  However, when I add a new file, the Movies thumbnail keeps changing itself to whatever is first alphabetically and if I want to change a thumbnail image I’ve had to open the hidden thumbnails folder and change them directly – however the original thumbnail remains hidden in memory and refuses to change.

I’ll try the power off option – thanks for letting us know that works! – but it is frustrating spending so long getting thumbnails right.  I hope WD can fix this with the next firmware release.

While I’m at it – please can WD also update the “Services” so that they actually contain relevant information that works outside the USA!!  (Or at least give us the option to remove those apps that don’t work!)

j____:  You must be using old firmware.   There is NO Hidden Thumbnail Folder any more.

It’s still there Tony, under .wd_tv/thumb

Thumbnails as distinct from cover art and metadata which we know are now stored with the media.

The hub still build thumbnails for photos and folders. If you put a folder.jpg file in a movie folder, the hub will build a thumbnail from that picture and store it in the proper place in the .wd_tv/thumb folder.

And as you browse a list of pics that don’t have thumbnails yet, you can pause on one of them and pretty quick the thumbnail will show up on-screen, right after the thumbnail is built.

The hub is not deleting thumbnails for deleted files and folders. If a fellow wants to flush them from hub cache he can delete the thumbnails from the .wd_tv/thumb folder and then immediately do a hard power down cycle and they seem to stay gone until rebuilt afresh from an existing photo.

Okay, this might seem like a silly question to you guys but how do you access the .wd_tv\thumb folder?

I’d like to use the way of deleting the hidden thumbs that you mentioned but I can’t find that folder using the remote for the Hub nor by searching for it by connecting my macbook to it via network.

Please let me know. Thanks.

browser to this:

\wdtvlivehub\wdtvlivehub.wd_tv\thumb

But don’t be surprised if there’s nothing in it… 

There are Thumb files in wd_tv/thumb.  I think your confusing the thumb files, with the metadata.  The Thumb files are the caches of of thumbnails, not the thumbnails themselves.

To get rid of a thumbnails that still show up from deleted files, you need to first switch your theme to the default Mochi theme, then backup any themes that you have, then delete the entire “wd_tv” folder.  Deleting just the “thumb” folder does not always get rid of all the thumbnails.

Hmmm.   That very well may be;  all I know is that I deleted my THUMB directory some time ago and it hasn’t reappeared.  :)

Before 2.03.24, that directory WAS where the Get Content Info task would drop the full-size jpg, and if I changed that jpg, it’d change the cover art displayed on the screen.

The last timestamp on a file in there at the time was right before 2.03.24 was released… 

Now with 2.03.24, the cover art from Get Content Info is placed on the NAS.

So, I’m not sure what I would need to do to get it to rebuild the cache, but I’ve got thousands of thumbnails in my media files and no folder.  :)

Yes, that’s true, the “Thumbnails” for the coverart are placed in the folder were the files are. Prior to version 2.03.24, they were in the  wd_tv/metadata folder.  The “metadata” folder no longer exists in version 2.03.24.

That is not however the Thumb.db files.   The thumb files are not thumbnails.  They are still placed in the wd_tv/thumb folder (at least for attached storage).  How they are cached for network storage I can’t tell, because I don’t access network storage for my media, but I image that it still uses caching via thumb files, or every time you scolled to a new page there would be a delay in the thumbnails displaying.

I’ll have to try plugging in something else with more stuff on it;  I had some stuff on a USB stick that I used to upgrade my Hub last night, but that didn’t regenerate the Thumb directory.

Hmmmmm.   It’s a mystery!  :)

Same issue for me…I deleted a movie from the external drive some time ago and the movie .jpg is still showing up!  This was the first movie in the folder (alphabetical order) I’m guessing that has something to do with it also.  I’m going to try powering off the Hub to see if that changes anything.

Tried turning off\on the media library and it didnt’ change anything.

Just thought I add my two cents since I have been changing thumbnails a lot.  I make them on the computer, and add them over the network share.  The only efficient and dependable way I have found to get the Hub to recognize the new thumbnails and “forget” the old ones is to do it like this:

After I’ve added the thumbnails (e.g. folder.jpg, or thumbnails named identically to videos) to the Hub using the computer, accessing the Hub as network share, then

1. Turn off the WD using power off on the remote.

(you don’t need to unplug or do a hard shut down, in fact this won’t work if you do because you need to access the WD as a network share)

1. From the computer find “thumb” in directory from the .wd_tv directory in the root HUB directory. Then, delete the whole thumb directory, or navigate more surgically to find the directory you changed or even the actual thumb files. The WD regenerates them rapidly, so it’s not a hassle for me with several hundred thumbs to delete a whole directory. 

2. Restart the WD using power on from the remote,

3. Then immediately do a “device restart” from within the menu.  (Home --> Setup --> System --> Device Restart).  This is more like a reboot than just powering off/on with the remote. 

This seems like a lot but it’s been sure-fire for me after a lot of experimentation, with turning the unit on and off, rebuilding the library, moving directories around, looking for files in different views on the Hub, etc. It’s a lot easier than trying “easier” things over and over and/orwaiting for the HUB to get around to finding changes.

Careful though in deleting anything from the Hub, there’s no recycle or undelete function that I know of.  

John

1 Like

JohnnyLamb wrote:

Just thought I add my two cents since I have been changing thumbnails a lot.  I make them on the computer, and add them over the network share.  The only efficient and dependable way I have found to get the Hub to recognize the new thumbnails and “forget” the old ones is to do it like this:

After I’ve added the thumbnails (e.g. folder.jpg, or thumbnails named identically to videos) to the Hub using the computer, accessing the Hub as network share, then

1. Turn off the WD using power off on the remote.

(you don’t need to unplug or do a hard shut down, in fact this won’t work if you do because you need to access the WD as a network share)

1. From the computer find “thumb” in directory from the .wd_tv directory in the root HUB directory. Then, delete the whole thumb directory, or navigate more surgically to find the directory you changed or even the actual thumb files. The WD regenerates them rapidly, so it’s not a hassle for me with several hundred thumbs to delete a whole directory. 

1. Restart the WD using power on from the remote,

1. Then immediately do a “device restart” from within the menu.  (Home --> Setup --> System --> Device Restart).  This is more like a reboot than just powering off/on with the remote. 

This seems like a lot but it’s been sure-fire for me after a lot of experimentation, with turning the unit on and off, rebuilding the library, moving directories around, looking for files in different views on the Hub, etc. It’s a lot easier than trying “easier” things over and over and/orwaiting for the HUB to get around to finding changes.

Careful though in deleting anything from the Hub, there’s no recycle or undelete function that I know of.  

John

Have you tried leaving the hub on, deleting the thumb directory and then pressing the remote off button for about 3 seconds so that the hub turns off. Then switching it back on. This process is the same as rebooting and saves the other steps.

thanks for the tips…

I was deleting the thumbs folder and MOST of the time that worked , but something i had to clear the library and rebuild which takes ages just to refresh some new thumbs…

Also i find that with files on the internal drive the hub is more prone to keeping the old cache

Good insight Rich, and I think I have tried that, and I think it will work if you get to the WD immediately to reboot, but my problem with it was that my computer and WD are in different rooms and I think if I leave the WD on while I delete the thumbs directory that by the time I go back to the room where the WD is and reboot it, it has recreated the prior thumbnail … I know it sounds odd to me too, but I guess it keeps the original thumbnail in some memory other than the hard drive while it is on.  If I turn it off before I delete the thumbs directory, and leave it off, it doesn’t reappear.