Bsod

i get the bsod on start up with the my book elite plug with usb. starts fine without it. a stetting problem perhaps?

help

Merry Christmas

KB Article : 3818

Problem:
The computer crashes with a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) when installing the WD (+ SmartWare) external drive on a system running Sonic Drive Letter Access (DLA).

Cause:
The WD (+ SmartWare) external drive needs to be seen by Sonic DLA as a Virtual CD drive. The WD (+ SmartWare) external drive is not correctly being identified by Sonic DLA as a Virtual CD drive causing BSOD to occur.

Solution:
The easiest way to resolve this issue is to disable Sonic DLA:

1. Go to Start → Run.
  2. Type msconfig in the Open box and click OK. This will launch the System Configuration Utility.
  3. In the System Configuration Utility , choose the Startup tab.
  4. Look for the Startup Item tfswctrl.exe or tfswctrl and uncheck it.
  5. Click Apply and then Close.
  6. A dialog window will open. Choose Restart.
  7. After restarting, a new dialog window will pop up saying your system configuration has changed. Check the box at the end of the message to stop the message from reappearing. Click OK.

If you continue to have issues with crashing, you may want to remove Sonic DLA all together:

1. Go to Start → Settings → Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
  2. Locate and highlight Sonic DLA or Drive Letter Access from the list of applications.
  3. Choose Remove.

If you are unable to startup Windows, try booting into Safe Mode to remove/disable Sonic DLA:

1. Start your computer and press the F8 key on your keyboard every second or so until a Windows Startup Menu is displayed.
  2. Use the arrow keys to highlight the Safe Mode option, and then press Enter. Your computer will now start Windows in Safe Mode.
  3. Follow the instructions above to either remove or disable Sonic DLA.

Had the same problem.  The fix worked.  My question is ,  will I have a problem burning CD’s now?