Browsing the device is extremely slow

I’m really dissappointed to realise that it is extremely slow to browse folders containing a lot of data on my Mybook live 2TB.

For example a folder containing about 1gb of pictures results in in the dreaded wheel of death (I’m a mac user) - and scrolling up and down the folder looking for a particular photo is not smooth at all. 

One of the reasons that I got the device in the first place was to be able to keep large amounts of data nicely organized in folders for me to be able to access them from my computer wirelessly (and remotely) - but that is not working out so well. Also, it takes forever to search the device for something (e.g. a document). 

Is this normal, or does anyone have a solution to this problem? 

I have a brand new Macbook pro and a wireless gigabit network (Airport extreme). 

to verify if you have a network problem connect the drive to the computer Ethernet direct and test the performance

It is slighty faster to browse the device when connecting to it via an ethernet cable - but still not as smooth at you would expect. Especially not considering that my internet connection is very fast (50Mbps down / 70 Mbps up). 

Jakezzz wrote:

It is slighty faster to browse the device when connecting to it via an ethernet cable - but still not as smooth at you would expect. Especially not considering that my internet connection is very fast (50Mbps down / 70 Mbps up). 

I does not matter how fast your internet is, keep in mind we are in your local network

try testing your network conditions… see if there is something on the setup that is causing this performance issue.