Bricked Unit?

I own 3 of these units. The 2.02.32 update messed them all up - all 3 became unstable. I reverted to 2.01.86 sucessfully on 2 of the units, loading from USB memory stick.

The 3rd unit failed, hung while progress bar was showing - I left it overnight, no change. Now when I reboot it comes up with the screen telling you to instert USB drive with firmware to recover my unit. I instert a USB stick and the LED on the stick flickers for a couple of seconds to show that the unit is accessing it. But then that stops and nothing else happens.

WD support recommends pressing the reset button for 4 seconds. I get no response from that action, so WD support page says the unit is broken.

I am assuming that is unit is not just sick, it has been murdered by 2.02.32 (with help of with some other fault in the unit I guess - maybe a USB controller - I never use the USB on my units other than this firmware rollback).

Any other suggestions or do the experts here agree that this unit is dead?

Thanks,

Mike.

Try re-formatting the USB stick (FAT32) and re-copy the 2.02.32 firmware files (use a fresh copy of the files) onto it and try again…

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware/Insert-a-USB-drive-with-firmware-to-recover-your-WDTV/td-p/541933

:smiley:

In the end WD replaced my unit under warranty. I’ve never needed support in the past but tech support contacted by email and then phone. They quickly decided that there was an abnormal issue and their warranty process made it it easy for me to get  a replacement. No hassles, just great customer service.

I’m still going to avoid 2.02.32. I’ll just stick with 2.01.86. I love this device. I forgot to mention that I have bought 3 of these for use in my church video systems and 6 or 7 for my work, used to run product demo videos at trade shows and other events. Some of those have been travelling non-stop for several years. This is the first time I had a problem with one.