Brand new PRO4100, Question about setting up a JBOD

Hello,

I have a brand new PRO4100, and it seems before I can do anything with it, I need to configure a RAID and/or JBOD array.

My question is this: If I use 4 drives that already have data on them to create the JBOD, will they be wiped when setting up the array?

In the RAID setup options when selecting a JBOD array, it warns you that “changing the RAID mode will erase all the data on the drives”. Would this still be the case even though no RAID array has ever been set up on this 4100 or these disks? Since this is a new JBOD array and isn’t being “changed” from a RAID to a JBOD, I’m curious (and a little terrified) if this is still the case. I’m loading up 16 TB of data into this thing and cannot under any circumstances lose this data.

If setting up the JBOD will result in the drives being wiped, I’ll have to go out and buy 4 fresh drives and then manually transfer the data over to each after the JBOD has been set up.

I’d appreciate any help. Thanks!

My Cloud Dashboard Improvements

Yes, your data WILL BE WIPED!

Thanks for the quick response! Also, DANG IT!

So the only way to make this work is to…do a lot of monotonous work. Weeeee!

I also own a new PR4100 and have 4 drives in a non-RAID JBOD configuration. In all likelyhood, any data on your drives will be erased when you install them and configure the NAS to use them. Note that merely installing the drives in the NAS will not wipe them, but you should always have backups regardless. However, if you proceed with installing the drives from the interface, they will probably be wiped unless they came from another similar WD NAS.

The interface is very confusing when it comes to setting up non-RAID configurations, almost as if they don’t want you to use anything but RAID. My memory is a little foggy since it has been several days since I set my drives up, but I can answer any questions you may have.

Give me a minute and I will look to see what steps are required.

Thanks very much, I really appreciate it! This info will definitely be helpful to me.

Basic JBOD volume initialization steps:

1. Click the Storage icon.
  2. Click the Change RAID mode button.
  3. Click the OK button on the Warning popup.
  4. Click the JBOD tab on the next popup.

I can’t proceed further on my system without wiping my drives, but the steps should be clear from this point forward. I can’t recall, but you may also have to check the Switch to JBOD box.

Remember, from this point forward, you should assume that ALL DATA ON THE DRIVES WILL BE WIPED.

Here is a link to the online users manual for the PR4100. Look at the section titled “Changing the RAID Mode” on pages 54 and 55.

Thanks for your help, dswv42, that worked fine. I was able to setup 4 fresh drives under the JBOD configuration. Last question for now - is it possible to rename the drives? At the moment they’re all stuck under Volume_1 -> Volume_4, and while it works, I’d prefer giving them custom names. Is this at all possible?

I just looked and don’t believe it is possible to change drive or volume names, or at least I have yet to find any settings that allows it to be done.

You should also be advised that there is no way to monitor the space utilization of individual volumes. For some strange reason they opted to combine the free space of all drives and display that instead, which is completely useless in a non-spanned JBOD configuration. To compensate, I opted to create a share for each volume, giving each share a number suffix to identify which volume it belongs to.

For example:
SHARE_1
SHARE_2
SHARE_3
SHARE_4

Doing it this way allows me to see usage of each individual volume, but again with limitations because the free space is not shown for shares. This all applies to the NAS user interface, where using the Windows file manager gives me a more complete picture of each share after I map them to drive letters. Mac users likely have something similar at their disposal.

Excellent, thank you.

I went ahead and created shares for each drive, and then mapped them to my network. It basically accomplishes what I need, and I can indeed see drive usage and capacity.

A shame, really, that WD has somehow ignored some basic functionality, and yet advertises this thing as being totally consumer-ready. Most consumers will have no idea how to handle this thing. I mean, I’m kind of familiar with networking solutions and configurations, and with a consumer-ready product, that should have been enough. Even then, I had trouble. No where in the instructions does it mention that you must set up a RAID/JBOD array before you can do anything at all with the device. I’m flabbergasted that nobody at WD considered that little snag. How many returns have they suffered due to inadequate documentation?

I completely agree, and don’t feel bad about hitting a few snags. I have an extensive background with computers and networking, but like you I found it to be a little confusing at first. I mean seriously, who is going to click a button that says “Change RAID mode” when they are looking for JBOD?

It will indeed wipe all of your data. I attempted the same thing, and without any warning, I lost ~10TB of data.

Thanks very much, I really appreciate it! This info will definitely be helpful to me.

非常感谢,我真的很感激!此信息一定会对我有所帮助。

When I set up my DL2100 a few years ago, I first looken in the user manual and found info regarding RAID and JBOD.setups and decided to stay with the original default setup of RAID1.

Today, I wish I had selected JBOD and want to change to JBOD, because all data on my NAS is COPIES of media files stored on other drives. I do not need the redundancy of RAID1, and I can double the NAS’s capacity

Another reason regards something forum member dswv42 mentioned a while back when he wrote businesses need to use RAID, but most individuals do not if they have backups of the files on their NAS, Makes sense to me.