Boot Vista64 on MB with dual SATA controllers

Has anyone been successful getting Vista64 to boot on SATA3 with a MB that has two different HD controllers for SATA 2 & 3? Just need to know it is possible before I buy a 6gb/s SSD. So far I have failed to get it to work with a 1TB WD Caviar Black.
Thank you for your consideration, any input pro or con will be appreciated.

Hi yes it is possible but you need to post what motherboard you have to be sure.

1 Like

Sorry,

Asus P6X58D Premium with Intel SATA2 and Marvell SATA3 controllers.

Hi well it has a Marvell 9128 controller and they had issues, the Marvell 9128 is ONLY x1 lane and it  tops out at 360 MB/s so you will never see 500 meg reads if it will work, maybe they have a newer drivers for it now i see theres a 2010 update on asus site. Either way a sata 3 ssd will do fine on a ich10r controller wont be 500 meg but close to 3. Make sure bios is updated and set to ahci mode for the marvel controller.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Yes I am beginning to see some of the issues with Marvell 9128. I got the latest driver, then I cloned my Seagate SATA2 boot drive to the WD SATA 3 drive. Been using AHCI mode with my ICH10R drives all along, so did not think to change it. When I tried to boot the WD drive on the Marvell all I would get was blue or black screens with windows, and when I set it up as a logical drive, windows would see it randomly. I am going to try again with IDE mode(suggested by ASUS) unless I get a better idea.

I do not think Windows will allow a boot drive cloned from SATA2 to SATA3.