Boot Disc Failure, please insert system disc

I recently bought a WD GReen 3tb hard drive as a secondary, immetiately when I booted up with both connected I got the boot disc failure. With only the old one it boots fine but windows and live boot partitioning software do not recognize the new hard drive. I can see it in my bios when it checks the SATA ports but it will not make it through boot up on windows and once plugged in if booted into the partition live boot it does not see the new hard drive. I have done all I can think of, is there any fix or was the drive DOA?

No, the drive is likely not DOA.  Your BIOS thinks the NEW disk it the primary disk, and there is, of course, no bootable partition on the new disk.

You need to modify your BIOS settings or change the disk ordering so that it will boot from the correct disk.

For your question: 

“I recently bought a WD GReen 3tb hard drive as a secondary, immetiately when I booted up with both connected I got the boot disc failure.”

– You need setup booting hard drive as your old drive in BIOS.

“With only the old one it boots fine but windows and live boot partitioning software do not recognize the new hard drive.”

--If AHCI( _Advanced Host Controller Interface) _is not on you may have to rescan new device in device manager. warning** If you turn AHCI on your system may not working since your old system may not have driver for AHCI. Google solution for ‘turn AHCI on for installed windows XX’ first**

“I can see it in my bios when it checks the SATA ports but it will not make it through boot up on windows and once plugged in if booted into the partition live boot it does not see the new hard drive.”

--See above 2 answers. If you can see the drive in device manager but can not mount it, it may because your windows version is old, most of them can not use hard drive over 2TB, check WD product help, there is software to help you.

Good luck.