Blue screens with WD5000AAKS

hello,

i’m experiencing a blue screens from time to time (2-3 months and sometimes less than this) and when i get the blue screen i hear something like ‘knak’ from the hard drive (like the hard drive suddenly stopped). after the blue screen and the automatic reboot, the BIOS doesn’t recognize the hard drive and get stucked at the point of detecting the hard drive. only after i turn off the computer and turn it on again, the system turns up. I’ve run WD diagnostic tool and extended S.M.A.R.T check but everything is alright. any ideas how can i fix the problem?

thanks in advance, Tom 

Hi

Turn off the automatic reboot so you can see the STOP code.

Control Panel - System - Advanced tab - Settings button in the “Startup and Recovery” panel - untick “Automatically Restart”.

You can also press F8 every one second at startup to go to advanced menu where you can select “disable automatic restart on system failure”

Check the power suppy, how old is it, how many disks you have, quality,etc.

In the past, i had two drives, one like yours and another wd 320gb, both with a supercheap psu, and no power regulator/stabilizer. From time to time, that drive did not get detected, the problem disapeared replacing the psu for

another cheap one, until some months, then again. After that, i use only quality psu (TT) and power regulators (APC), not

a problem with disks since.

Check the cables, data + power.

thanks, i unchecked the auto reboot. the next blue screen wil appear i’ll write the stop code.

and  i’ll check the power+data cables… although the problem happens suddenly without any movement of the computer. maybe it’s the psu…

if the problem will continue, i’ll replace the psu. any specific recommedation? 

rtguille wrote:

Check the power suppy, how old is it, how many disks you have, quality,etc.

In the past, i had two drives, one like yours and another wd 320gb, both with a supercheap psu, and no power regulator/stabilizer. From time to time, that drive did not get detected, the problem disapeared replacing the psu for

another cheap one, until some months, then again. After that, i use only quality psu (TT) and power regulators (APC), not

a problem with disks since.

Check the cables, data + power.