Blu-ray subtitles

In all my BDs converted so far, the subtitles have beene´embedded as tracks in the M2TS files. Now I have encountered a BD with NO subtitle tracks in these files.

I do not own a BD player, but trying the disk in a friends player reveals that subs are present in 4 languages, but unstable (e.g. when fastforwarding or rewinding they disappear/reappear in a semi random pattern).

My question is: How do I extract these subtitles from the disk (I use AnyDVD for disk access)? In other words, where can they be when not embedded as tracks?

Cocovanna

Is it possible the BD’s are CLOSED CAPTIONED instead of subtitled?

I really don’t know. How can I see that? Can I look in the file structure for specific objects? Never had this problem õther BDs.

Cocovanna

Not really sure.   I believe CC data is actually encoded in the VIDEO, it’s not a separate stream.

On analog tape systems in North America, the CC info was stored in the blanking interval at line 21.

On a DVD, the CC information (along with “subtitles”) is stored as a separate packet within the MPEG-2 stream, and then the player turns it into line 21 data over the analog outputs.

Handbrake has always read them for me as a second “subtitle” track.

On a BluRay, or HD-DVD it’s different again still.  HDMI doesn’t have the blanking interval to make use of the line 21 system.

To my knowledge, BluRays don’t really have “closed captions”… they either store the captions as normal bitmap subtitles, or sometimes as “advanced subtitles” which is basically an XML text format.

If I had to guess, I’d say this disc in question has no bitmap tracks, but 4 XML tracks, and it’d be up to the ripper to know how to pull them out (and change them into a WDTV-ready format, like SRT).

There are 3 tracks totally in the main movie (video + 2xsound) … checked with about every tool that I now of :slight_smile: Meaning if it is included  in the tracks, it must be further embedded in e.g. the video track, but nothing seems to indicate that.

I’ve been through all files at the disk to see if I could get a clue, with no help.  No java on this disk, apparently.

Cocovanna

Demux the file and playback the .h264 stream to see if they are actually embedded into the video.

tsMuxer says “B-pyramid level 1 detected. Shift DTS to 2 frames” during demux of video track. I wonder …

Cocovanna

Nope, it contains just the video stream. Wonder where it can be hidden :cry:

Cocovanna

Hey Cocovanna.

I’ve been archiving my BDs to MKV, in full quality, and had similar problems with the subs which would appear top left of the screen, in a large font.

I use MakeMKV to convert to MKV then use MKVCleaver to extract the .sup files from the main movie, BDSuptoSub to covert the subs to .sub and then remux using MKVMerge (without the original subtitles files). Others use ClownBD for the sub extraction but I’m happy with the method I’m using at the moment.

The benefit of using the .m2ts format, I believe, is the WD’s ability to play Dolby TrueHD, fully lossless, but, as most BDs are DTSHD-MA, I chose the MKV format and make do with a lossy audio track (normally DTS).

J.

Hi J.,

I’ve converted 50+ BDs to MKV with Handbrake, all with subs as PGS, which I can extract from the tracks as sup-files. The problem with this BD is, that I cannot find the subs anywhere. And they are present (albeit unstable) when viewed at a BD player.

Cocovanna

The benefit is that the LIVE plays back PGS sub from m2ts containers but not from MKV.

Hmmm, odd indeed.

If you open the BD directly with another app, are you able to see the subtitles? Can you turn the subs on and off with the BD player?

Techflaws wrote:

The benefit is that the LIVE plays back PGS sub from m2ts containers but not from MKV.

Now that I didn’t know…cheers!

To the thread starter,

ISO is not an acceptable streaming media format. For playing DVD movies over network, you can rip DVD to MP4/ AVI/ WMV format.  To keep DVD subtitles, you use a DVD ripper that print subtitles onto video frames (e.g. pavtube, xilisoft)

To Cocovanna,

As I tested on my Live Plus, the box plays subtitles when a blu-ray is ripping into ISO. You can use AnyDVD HD exports BD ISO. 

Now that you extract subtitles from MKV, I suppose you’re using MakeMKV. MakeMKV lets you have  Blu-ray  PGS subtitles(.sup format) in MKV video, but unfortunately the Live Plus doesn’t play the PGS subtitles when it is embeded into MKV container. The subtitles won’t display even if you extact the .sup subtitles becuase it is not playable by WD boxes for the time being.

How do you keep Blu-ray subtitles for WD box: use the “HD Player” format of bytecopy. It rips Blu-ray to MKV and change the .sup subtitles to  .sub.

Reference: Can WD TV Live Plus play Blu-ray in ISO, M2TS(BDMV) and MKV format

Repeat: 

I’ve converted 50+ BDs to MKV with Handbrake, all with subs as PGS, which I can extract from the tracks as sup-files. The problem with this BD is, that I cannot find the subs anywhere. And they are present (albeit unstable) when viewed at a BD player.

I have NO problems with suibtitles in PGS format at BD, neither when using ISO, M2TS nor MKV. My problem (with ONE BD) is that I cannot find the subs, only see them at a BD player (but unstable, they seem to disappear when FF/REW).

I just want to find them, i.e. hear about alternate was to put subs at BDs.

Cocovanna