Blu ray=>MKV

What is the easiest way you’ve found to rip from Blu Ray to MKV?  I’ve tried MakeMKV and had NO success.  I’ve tried ripping Paranormal Activity, Up, and the first season of Star Trek TOS, and none of them would work with MakeMKV.  Any advice?

Thanks.

Sigh.  I’m going to have to write up my workflow and post it on one of my web sites.  Let’s recap real quickly here (all software is freeware except for AnyDVD HD, which is HIGHLY recommended.  Nothing free works as well and as consistenly and is constantly updated).

1. Rip blu-ray to hard drive with AnyDVD HD.

2. Use BDinfo to examine rip to see what is the movie file (usually largest m2ts file in STREAM folder)

3. Use Handbrake to encode said m2ts file into MKV, using the High Standard preset (except change to MKV container for type and pass through either the AC3 or DTS audio track).

That’s about it except for those occasions when the largest m2ts file is NOT the movie.  IN those bases BDInfo will identify the playlist file, which you should load into tsMuxer and remux into a single TS file, which you then use in Handbrake.

This will work on everything, I promise (I’ve ripped over 200 blu-rays with zero difficulties, including proper playback on the Live).  Those blus with episodes (like TV shows) you’ll need to rip each m2ts file separately (you can use BDInfo still to find out what’s what).  Also I’d recommend VLC for playback (with it you can playback the m2ts files to examine things more closely if you need to).

4 Likes

Thank you very much, mkelley.  Your answer is very much appreciated.

belar wrote:

What is the easiest way you’ve found to rip from Blu Ray to MKV?  I’ve tried MakeMKV and had NO success.  I’ve tried ripping Paranormal Activity, Up, and the first season of Star Trek TOS, and none of them would work with MakeMKV.  Any advice?

Thanks.

Sorry you’ve had problems with MakeMKV. I’ve found it the only way which seems to work consistenly for me. The only thing it doesn’t do is compress.

Don’t know what specific problems you are having with makemkv…but have you loaded the BD+ and SVQ files?

http://www.makemkv.com/svq/

Assume you also posted your issues here:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=481&sid=ec4818590db19476a8fac1864ef888c3

Noted that Star Trek is listed in that thread.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=481&p=2709&hilit=Star+Trek#p2709

How to rip blu ray to flv,  http://www.bluray-rippers.com/blu-ray-to-flv.html? Whether do you meet the same question? Or are you headache that you cann’t find good software to [redundant url] convert blu ray to flv. So I will recommend a place for you to tell you [redundant url] how to convert blu ray to flv.  All the issues you encounter will solve.

I use Handbrake. As stated above choose “Regular-High Profile” I also go to the Video tab and change the constant quality to 55.39% or RF: 22.75 depending on your Handbrake version. I have tested extensively and have found that setting to be the minimum before you start to see any reduction in quality. I’m doing my tests on a 24inch Dell montor running VLC and Arcsoft Media Player. Dropping this setting saves a tremendous amount of HD space! It looks phenominal on my 65 inch Plasma. Also choose ac3 or dts as source and ac3 or dts passthrough under audio codec.

Now all we need is WD to add TrueHD support to MKV’s and I’ll be a very happy boy

what is best blue ray player or WD TV live hd media player or how do i connect my coumputer directly to LCD TV without using hd media player

Huh?

I’m not sure what you’re asking, but I play back my blu-ray encodes (the subject of this thread) using the Live and network shares on the PC.

If your question doesn’t relate to that start your own thread.

Sorry , i am not computer export, that is the reason , Need yr help to what to do next ?

I have tested a few of the “same kind” software and picked Pavtube Blu ray Ripper.  The all have the same interface and the selling point of your product is that I can pick the video bit rate and I can choose “original” bit rate. The product works quite smoothly and I like it. The quality is good and when I watch the video using my WD HD TV Media Player, Pavtube converted video is the only format that I can smoothly fast forward at 16x regardless of the output format, and that I am very happy with.

BTW, Blu-ray company has released new version of Blu-ray Disc with MKB V17 protection to prevent its Blu-ray discs from being decrypted. According to google search, I got a list of programs which claimed cracks MKB v17 :AnyDVD HD,Pavtube,DVDFab

Comparing with other rippers,I prefer Pavtube one because of its conversion speed and price($49).

Download the demo version which doesnt limit anything and check it out.

[Deleted for advertising]

I dont understand Blue ray MKV .does it possible to get zone free player?Please advice which brand my favourite brand is Sony I am in Asia Nepal

mkelley wrote:

1. Rip blu-ray to hard drive with AnyDVD HD.
  1. Use BDinfo to examine rip to see what is the movie file (usually largest m2ts file in STREAM folder)
  1. Use Handbrake to encode said m2ts file into MKV, using the High Standard preset (except change to MKV container for type and pass through either the AC3 or DTS audio track).

I am currently trying out these instructions, which seem promising (but takes loooong time …), but … is there a way to include subtitles? When I open the largest m2ts file, I can’t find/select subtitles in Handbrake? Have I overlooked something?

Welcome to the forums.

Encoding a blu-ray file WILL take a long time, although the faster the processor you have, the better (my i7 will do most movies in less than four hours, but previous to that 8 hours or more was not unusual).  Do it overnight for best results Handbrake support queues, so you can have as many waiting as you want and it will process them sequentially).

You can include subs.  Here are the additional (but quick :>) steps:

1. Load the m2ts file into (freeware) tsmuxer.  Eliminate all streams other than the PGS streams of the language you want.

2. Demux the files (choose the Demux option).

3. Use (freeware) BDESup2Sub to translate these files into IDX files

4. Mux the IDX files and the MKV file (produced by Handbrake) into one MKV file using the (freeware) mkvmerge.

All of these steps should run in minutes on even a slow PC, but there are a lot of steps, I realize (nothing worthwhile is easy :>)

Thanks alot Mike, I’ll give it a try in a day or two :smiley:

My test run went well. A 2.5h movie converted in about 7.5h on my brand new i7 portable, but I can live with that. I was complete unable to get normal english sound on this movie, because the actual sound track (as the only one) was encoded in DDTrueHD, which I couldn’t get through the Live (I don’t know if it is available at the optical output) – until now! :smileyvery-happy: Handbrake flawlessly extracted the AC3 sound, so besides the subtitles the movie plays perfectly now. Thanks for your contribution to this forum!

Just a sidenote question: The resulting MKV file from this 2.5h movie is around 4.8GB in size … it sounds a bit small? It this correct?

Thanks again,

Cocovanna

Cocovanna wrote:

Just a sidenote question: The resulting MKV file from this 2.5h movie is around 4.8GB in size … it sounds a bit small? It this correct?

Thanks again,

Cocovanna

Depending on how it’s encoded that size seems fine.

I use the High Profile strictly, and movies encoded at that rate average around 3.5GB per hour of movie.  However I need to emphasize AVERAGE.  A movie with a lot of grain in it (like The African Queen, or Saving Private Ryan) might well clock in at 8-11GB an hour.  A movie that is comparatively “scrubbed” (like animated movies) can be less than 1.5GB per hour.

Using the standard preset will shrink the movie further – around 20% further.  And even with that preset the quality is very very good (not *quite* up to my standard, but I have very high standards:>).

That’s perfectly all right.  Blu-ray encodes are *vastly* oversized, in effect “wasting” large amounts of space.  Even on my 9’ HD projection unit I cannot tell the difference between the original and the encoded movie using the High Profile during A/B tests.

Well, … the subtitle addition went flawless, and I managed to encode a full movie. Then I tried a movie with a playlist (a 49 secs introduction followed by 1h33m), but Handbrake keeps “stop working” at the 0.19% point, corresponding to approx 10 secs … any idea, what may have went wrong?

I have tried tsMuxing to bot TS and M2TS, same result. The TS movie plays nicely with VLC.

I am using HB 0.9.4, I remember you said something about using “latest checkpoint” because there were issues in 0.9.4 … where do I find this build (for Windows)?

Cocovanna

Yes, you need to use the latest snapshot which fixes a lot of issues with blu-ray encodes.

If you go to the “downloads” tab on the main Handbrake page you’ll see the link for the snapshots (let me know if you can’t find it).

No snapshots … the main download page i look at is http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php, and searching for it within the HandBrake page just reveals this: http://handbrake.fr/snapshot.php which announces “no snapshots”. Have you got a direct link, or is it possible for you to make the latest snapshot available at your web server?

Cocovanna

Cocovanna wrote:

No snapshots … the main download page i look at is http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php, and searching for it within the HandBrake page just reveals this: http://handbrake.fr/snapshot.php which announces “no snapshots”. Have you got a direct link, or is it possible for you to make the latest snapshot available at your web server?

Cocovanna

Unfortunately they’ve removed the snapshots – I don’t know why, except they may be close to a final new release.

It isn’t a very big file, so if you want to send me a private message with your email address I’ll send the zipped version to you.

The previous poster is referring to doing something that will not re-encode blu-rays – it is totally unnecessary (if you aren’t going to re-encode you don’t need ANY other software, just rip the largest MT2S file to your hard drive and you’re done – it will contain all the stuff you need including subtitles).  You re-encode because it saves disc space, because it plays better, and because it streams better (all without losing quality).  But the choice is up to you.

1 Like