Block Firmware Updates

Is there a way to block the WDTV Live from searching for updates? I’m happy with how it’s running on an older firmware, and worry that the kids might choose the l;atest available update that shows up when it turns on now. Perhaps blocking the address it’s calling at the router side - but what’s the address? Anybody?
Thanks

Hi there,

The only way that I can see of doing this is to reinstall the existing firmware, but, change the WDTV.VER version number (using noted pad) to something  higher than the existing firmware version.

For example the latest is 1.06.43 so if you choose 2.20.13 for example then in theory no amount of new versions would ever come close to this so it would stay as exists.

If you want more detailed info on this try http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/WD-changed-the-quot-Roll-back-quot-FAQ-on-12-21-12-for-old-Live/m-p/524389  it talks about rollback but the basics are the same.

Maybe we could call this one ROLLFORWARD - going forwards!!!:smiley:

PeteB

Sorry TheBeeMan but that won’t work. The ver number does nothing to the player, it simply fools the player into accepting the firmware on the USB drive. Nothing about a higher number is remembered by the player, its simply used once to get the old firmware to load.

Block support.wdc.com in your router for the LIVE’s IP.

Thanks, I’ll give that a go.

@TheBeeMan

It won’t work.

I am totally sure about it. Why don’t you try it. The version number is only used to fool the player into accepting the old firmware. That version number is not added to the player. Think about it for a second all rollback firmware uses this trick and if this worked the way you explained nobody who rolled back would ever get notified of an update. We would also have a number of posts where people were referring to firmware which was never released. The actual firmware number is built into the firmware and that is what is shown in your about screen.

1 Like

Ok, richUK

I put the “Theory” into “Practice” on my Live Hub … and it didn’t work

I’m not the kind of person to shy away from admitting I was wrong … and looking like a fool because of it.

So, I admit, i was wrong… And you were Right :smiley:

Sincerest apologies … for doubting what you said.

(Most times i check things before posting, but this time i did’nt, and got it wrong … badly) :cry:

Kudos

JoeySmyth wrote:

Ok, richUK

I put the “Theory” into “Practice” on my Live Hub … and it didn’t work

I’m not the kind of person to shy away from admitting I was wrong … and looking like a fool because of it.

So, I admit, i was wrong… And you were Right :smiley:

Sincerest apologies … for doubting what you said.

(Most times i check things before posting, but this time i did’nt, and got it wrong … badly) :cry:

Kudos

I must admit that I was surprised as you are normally spot on.

@ richUK

I must admit that I was surprised as you are normally spot on.

Well, we all make mistakes in life. (the most important thing is to learn from them. which i have)

I am sorry and gutted that this does not work.  But, it explains why most of the posts talking about firmware version changes tell one to change the first number i.e. if you’ve unfortunately installed 1.06.43 and need to rollback your next firmware would have the version 2.06.43.  As the box don’t remember much it thinks its new firmware as we know.

Would a new firmware version of say 2.06.41 also be an update to 1.06.43?

If that would be so then I would know that I have rolled-back to “1.06.41” an easy “aide de memoir”:smiley:, I am sorry if this has been explained more efficiently else where.

PeteB

All that is necessary is to rename the older version to a higher number than the one you are trying to upgrade. So what you wrote will work just as well.

Scandy wrote:
All that is necessary is to rename the older version to a higher number than the one you are trying to upgrade. So what you wrote will work just as well.

So…If I’m at 1.04.xx right now and want to go to 1.05.xx (not the latest frought with danger 1.06.xx build) and I rename 1.05.xx as 1.07.xx and install it, the box shouldn’t ask me to upgrade to 1.06.xx any more when I turn it on?  Or am I totally missing what you guys are saying?

fhall1 wrote:

Scandy wrote:

So…If I’m at 1.04.xx right now and want to go to 1.05.xx (not the latest frought with danger 1.06.xx build) and I rename 1.05.xx as 1.07.xx and install it, the box shouldn’t ask me to upgrade to 1.06.xx any more when I turn it on?  Or am I totally missing what you guys are saying?

No that will not work. You can only block firmware updates by disconnecting from the internet or blocking the WD servers somehow within your system.

fhall1 wrote:

Scandy wrote:

No. The renaming of firmware versions is only done when you are trying to downgrade your firmware by installing an older version. No matter what you rename the firmware, once you install it it will have its correct firmware version. For example, if you rename 1.05.04 to 2.05.04, once it is installed, the firmware version will be listed correctly as 1.05.04. As RichUK said this will not help you at all in trying to block firmware updates.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were originally asking.

Thanks guys…it would have been nice if it was that easy!

@Techflaws

Block support.wdc.com in your router for the LIVE’s IP.

Thanks, just tried it and it works like a charm :smiley:

That’s great thanks:smiley:

By the way. What’s the http://ftpext2.wdc.com do when its not blocked?

PeteB

@TheBeeMan

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Remove-Developer-Code-Pt-III-console-sniffer/idi-p/424496