Bloated battery

When you have issues like this with a product, you really need to contact the company:

I have gotten WD support’s feedback and they are working for the replacement. ( No keep the receipt after one year ), they have said firmware updated can solve the problem. But they didn’t say why the firmware can solve the boladted battery issue. I thought bloated battery is the meterial problem for the battery. How WD can ensure new firmware won’t have this issue?

For over a year there has been a prominent Important Notice at the very top of this My Passport Wireless forum telling you to update the firmware of your MPW to help preserve the battery life. Did you ever read it and do what the article it refers you to do? All the details are there explaining how the battery charging process works, etc.

Edit: This is the article you should have read:
http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=13162&lang=en

I have updated the firmware when it connected with Internet every time. As I said I don’t know crrent firmware version in the HDD when the battery broken. No end-user will check it before the system fail. It may be already latest version firmware in the HDD.

Just like to know why the firmware can solve the batter issue. Any technical reason: Power management method changed or slow-down the charging speed.

As you said the forum have discussed this issue for one year. Pls. think it as end user. End-user won’t go to check solution and search the web-site when some issues happened.

Your message is look like Customer fault, We need to watch the forum to get any important updated.

Did you follow a forum when you buy a HDD or TV to see any updated?

( I have believed WD has pushed the firmware to each system when it connect to Internet. )

1 Like

The firmware manages the power better to keep the battery from over-charging. It is in the article I sent you link to, or a companion link.

Also, see this: You need to check the MPW Knowledge Base for all important info pertaining to the MPW.
http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=13833

My condition is little different. I have not use it over 10days (total power off, no pw by the PC. ) the issue happens after 10mins PC power up. It should not over-charging issue.

I got a new MP from Taipei service center and transfer all data from old MP to new one. I hope this battery should more stable. Nice service over my expectation.

Hell, I have the same problem. :frowning: I see that there appears to be no way to get a new battery.

Hi,

Got exactly the same problem but in my case the disk is out of warranty by only 2 months.
I have open a ticket and asked for a replacement

Did you ever update the firmware as suggested by WD to eliminate this issue?

Yes I did
but after the problem occured!

Bloated batter just popped case off my WD MyPassport 2TB. Sent and email 30 minutes ago, awaiting a response.

Good luck.

The customer support is expecting me to pay the return of the faulty disk to WD, which I don’t accept.
They have even upgraded the f/w one week ago to improve the battery management as they don’t feel comfortable with this issue.

WD feels responsible but not gulty!

All I want is a replacement battery but I do not think that a battery is even available.

Thanks for the good luck . Still waiting to hear from them.

Anyone with this issue should call WD Support, not write them!

Thanks for the advice. I will be calling as well.

Just got off the phone with WD. They are sending me a replacement drive free of charge. I did not have to give them a credit card number. Shipping mine back in the same packing materials. I am very pleased with them.

Do WD ask you to pay the return?