Bloated battery

Did you get the replacement Phluke for the HDD ??

Thatā€™s a pretty serious problemā€¦ Has anyone had problems with a MPW 500Gb or 1GB? Or does this only affect the 2GB?

Did the above problems happen whilst charging only? or was the device running and charging at the same time?

I guess I wont be leaving my 500GB plugged in for ages just in case!

Has anyone had the problem since the charge control changes in the later firmwares? (i.e. since the change so that long charging at 100% backs off the charge and lets it drop to 80% and hover there?)

I couldnā€™t figure out why my device dropped to 80% if I left it chargingā€¦ but I now know why! Iā€™ll be sure not to let that happen in future.

The top link there should be a LOT more prominent on WD.com

It appears that the problem with these devices is due to a failure of either the charge algorithm or the battery protection circuit to do its jobā€¦ and the FW addresses that by backing off the charge (quite severely)ā€¦

I for one didnt know anything about this until I stumbled across it trying to diagnose why my battery was only charging to 80%

My battery didnā€™t bloat up, but it did, however, cause some pretty bad corrosion on the wireless circuit board and battery plug. It probably was from over charging. It would ne nice to have some kind of circuit protection from causing overcharging. And from looking at it. It wouldnā€™t be hard to design a user replaceable battery setup. If cheap cellphones can do itā€¦ WD did it so we would have to buy another one if the same issues arise, which is BS. Greedy a$$ companies.

1 Like

From my experiences with Li-Po batteries every case that had a battery that was plugged in 24/7 had bloated up, just not as large as what is seen here. I havenā€™t fully understood it myself but there is a correlation between battery voltage, temperature (as this drive can exceed the 40C threshold easily) and battery degradation.

Of course, considering itā€™s cheaper to hook the drive up to a power bank Iā€™m sure thatā€™s what WD (and most other companies) are going for these days.

hi Simba,

could you please update how was your warranty claim to WD ?
did you got replacement one to one or just the battery?
thanks in advance

FYI: mine also got bloated battery after couple months of using it.
and iā€™m about th open support case,
hope to know about your experience with support case.

my Passport wireless 2gigs happen to got bloated battery today, first i thought maybe kids accidentally drop it, but somehow it is impossible because i place it at somewhere safe and trying to googling then found this post , seem like quite number of users also have same problem.

hope you guys can update your experience with support case result, and or guarantee claiming process? anybody successfully got replacement unit or even replacement battery?

thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hello

I had the issue a year ago on a 1Tā€¦Thenā€¦today my 2To just burst !!! Data are safe but thatā€™s a little bit scary . It has the last FW version (1.06.06)ā€¦ Can someone at WD can assess this quickly to warn all mypassport wireless clients to know whtat they should do or not do while waiting for a safe solution ?

1 Like

Guys,

I am confident WD will take care of you on this issue. Can you guys tell us if the MPW had been idle a while and just did this, or was it operating getting warm, charging, etc. and then this happened?

They swapped it out for a MyCloud Mirror 4TB (dual 2TB drives). My second 2TB and the 1TB is working just fine.

JUST DONā€™T LEAVE THEM PLUGGED IN ALL THE TIME.

Thatā€™s what I narrowed it down to. These two were charged and were unplugged when full, but I did not leave them plugged in. There seems to be a direct link between keeping them plugged in all the time and the battery bloating. So, just charge it up when you need it.

I use my 2TB as a movie bank for trips (recompressed DVDs and Blurays that we own). The tablets run Kodi and connect to it. Works great!

hi Simba7,

thanks for reply.
that makes me think why they swapped for MyCloud Mirror instead of replace with same MyPassport Wireless?
did you have to spend money for that swap?

My Passport Wireless mostly use for watching movie as hdd, (wifi off), and plugged in to PC, some time i leave it overnight when i move large amount of movies file from laptop into it. i think that is somehow it got overcharge and got bloated. Wonder why it doesnā€™t have feature like most of cellphone that will stop charging when battery is full.
or At least have option to connect and charge OR connect data only.

OOT ; FYI : I had bad experience with My Cloud Mirror. since it have System (Linux i think). so when system somehow error and HDD not damage, i lose all access to my file, which is half filled with family pictures and half with movies and music. Have to go to data recovery service which is not cheap.

hi mike27oct,

hopefully,
it never get too warm whenever i use it,
and as i notice whenever i stop access the HDD, the white light will go blink which i assume it is in sleep state.
and if i access it (open with file explorer) will take a while to load then white light will become on constantly which i assume it is ON.
that is why i quite shock to find the battery can just got bloated and crack the case cover up.

it is charging when we plug into usb on pc/laptop.

hi lebios
since i need to use to access my data and feel not safe letting the bloated battery stay around my hdd.
i completely remove the bloated battery (which surprisingly easy to remove) for safety reason.

Same issue here. It happened a few weeks ago and I had no idea that it was the battery until I cam across this board! I have notified WD, although it was purchased more than a year ago and presumably out of warranty. I hope for and expect a replacement, since itā€™s seems to have been a common issue. Does it work without the battery and how does one remove it safely?

1 Like

i would assume it will still work via USB connection (canā€™t say for sure mine hasnā€™t bloated)

to remove the battery ? looks like a simple case of unplugging it (example pic ā€¦ but this plug got fried as well)

https://sea2.discourse-cdn.com/wd/uploads/default/optimized/3X/9/a/9a73ac5d102f4f260faf768fffde577e6de80e11_1_547x500.jpg

Thank you. Fingers crossed WD will replace the unit!

Ray

Sorry for the LONG delay. I havenā€™t been on this forum in awhile.

Actually, I didnā€™t pay a thing for the swap. They offered a 4TB MyCloud or a 4TB MyCloud Mirror. I took the mirror.
As for Linux, itā€™s not that hard to recover data from it. Just download SystemRescueCD and recover it that way.

As for recovering the data from the MBW drive, I did the same thing with mine when it ballooned up. I hooked a SATA to USB dock, fired up System Rescue CD, mounted the drive, and dumped EVERYTHING off of it onto a different drive. Then I put it back together as much as I could and shipped it off.

I am pleased to report that the drive is being replaced. I must say I was impressed by WD Support. I bought the drive through Amazon in the US, but requested the replacement be sent to the UK, and they were very efficient in arranging this.

Why Samsung can recall all Note7 when the battery broken? Why I didnā€™t see any action from WD?

My WD device is exact same issue as this treads. I have not used it for 10days ( no power ). Itā€™s broken when I power up my PC after 10mins. The device is connect to USB port of my PC. The battery broken to make the chassis broken too.

I think WD may like all users to post it to Facebook to share to worldwide.

I bought it from BestBuy in US in 2015. It was connected to my desktop PC USB port. The PC just run 2-3 hours per week. Most of time no power to deliver to the device.
I donā€™t think the battery is over charge.

I have many devices with battery all be used over 3 years. WD passport battery is less one year and broken. How I expect to get their help from Taipei? Any service center in Taipei?

My battery have same issue with you. The HDD still can work when it connect to USB port. But the wifi feature failure. I think it should connect to the battery.
No idea how WD to fix it. I have removed the battery to ensure it not burn other thing. I canā€™t find a connector with the battery even WD can offer a replacement battery to me.

As I said I still like to keep all data in the HDD, just expect WD can fix the battery issue.