Blank screen after start up

I just got my new WD TV LIVE from Amazon.co.uk in mail. After starting up the startup screen with WD logo is visible for 10 seconds after which the screen goes blank - i.e. no signal detected. I tried connecting the device by all available interfaces, but the problem is the same.

I read on the forum here that a user had this same malfunction after upgrading the firmware to the latest, but I have no idea what firmware version does my device have, because I just received it. I would try another firmware and upgrade via USB, but unfortunately you have to have access to the menus on the screen in order to do that. I guess there is no option to just plug the USB stick in and upgrade automatically. :frowning:

Does anybody have any advice? Should I request the RMA and send the device for replacement?

If you’ve tried HDMI, component AND composite, and they’re all doing the same thing, I’d arange for a replacement from Amazon…  Don’t RMA it, that’ll take a while…

Thanks, Tony. I became convinced that the device is faulty after connecting it to a different TV and having the same effect, and did as you advised - organized a replacement from Amazon. :slight_smile: The WD support were too busy to reply to my support request.

Did getting a replacement fix the problem? I’m having the exact same issue. No output over component, and the WD logo for about 10 seconds on composite before becoming a rolling unreadable mess.

Zlorfik wrote:
Did getting a replacement fix the problem? I’m having the exact same issue. No output over component, and the WD logo for about 10 seconds on composite before becoming a rolling unreadable mess.

Could the rolling over composite be due to incorrect region output?  You can switch between PAL and NTSC using the side reset button.  Hold it down for longer than 10 seconds and it’ll alternate between them.

Might be worth a try before you return the unit.

I forgot to mention how I fixed this.  I tried the path of unplugging it for 5 minutes.  After that, it worked over the composite just fine.  My problem stemmed from havign a HDMI cable attached to it initially that it did not like.  Even with resetting it via the button, I think it was still trying to send out of that port.  Unplugging it got it to send out the component and composite ports successfully.