Bl@@dy townky. Again

Does anyone have ANY idea why TWONKY sparks up when you try and do a USB backup? After sitting nice and quiet with a USB drive plugged in, as soon as I start a Backup from the GUI, TWONKY goes crazy and ■■■■■ all the CPU from the wheezy asthmatic little EX4 box. Result is very poor response on the GUI, slow response to a TOP command and ultimately after an hour of spinning in very small circles, no backup…

Below is a cut from the TOP log where Twonky is happily reporting taking 20.6% CPU.

Does anyone know WHY the OS does this? Media scanning is off, TWONKY is “not streaming” and “not scanning”.

root S xxx 13.1 0 20.6 /usr/local/twonky/twonkyserver -D -ip xxx -httpport 9000 -appdata /mnt/HD/HD_a2/.twonkymedia -logfile /mnt/HD/HD_a2/.twonkymedia/twonkymedia-log.txt

And one more bug. Often times when the unit spends a lot of time at high CPU, the GUI then fails to allow login. The GUI will take a password and then sit there. The only solution I have found is to reset the device.

Further context, an “rsync --timeout=60…” command will work fine on the unit via SSH.

Hello, I have never encountered this problem and I don’t really know SSH, lets see if one of the more knowledgeable user is able to provide some information.

An update on this. WD support contacted me and suggested that I turn off Media Access (“Settings/Media/DLNA Media Server”) to disable Twonky. Remember that “Media Sharing” is turned off on the share, but this doesn’t stop Twonky sparking up when a Backup is done.

When I turned off Media Access, Twonky is disabled, and the backups worked well.

Thanks to WD for taking the time to address this issue.

1 Like