BitTorrent Sync on ex2

seems that something is moving…

sync

too bad now the download is not available…

have you found other software to install in that way?

BitTorrent Sync download for EX is back now.

Version 2.0.93 (March,19)

http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1888503-western-digital

Enjoy.

When clicking the dowload link is it fetching version 2.0.2 rather than 2.0.93 for anyone else?  Tried installing again anyway and when going to config getting a “This webpage is not available” error.  *sobs*

Working fine for me. just installed. maybe they had a system glitch? try agin?

yes the download give me the 2.0.2

and it does not works… like you sayd the configure page is not reachable…

Checked my downloads and the original file was 2.0.0 so guessing while new release is 2.0.9 that the WD version equivalent is 2.0.2.  Stil not managing to get it to work.  For those who installed bittorrent sync via ssh have you experienced any problems with it or does it run fine? Think it’s pretty much safe to write-off installing most apps via the dashboard.  

Just tried installing btsync via ssh and still getting the blank UI issue.  I am wondering if when uninstalling aps from the dashboard there are not ‘cleanly’ uninstalled?

at bottom of the page it says:

• WD Packaging restricts version numbers “XX.XX” format - future packages of Sync for EX2/EX4 may have a different package version than the latest version of Sync.

so probably, this is the reason for the different version numbering…

1 Like

AND BINGO! Read over rest of thread and realised I was forgetting to add -webui.listen [local.mycloud.IP]:8888 .  Added that and it’s up and running.  Even better is since it’s running as root I can set /mnt/HD/HD_a2/ as my default folder and sync my share folders rather than folders within a share.  

I assume I can just safely add “@reboot /[btsycncfolder]/./btsync -webui.listen [local.mycloud.IP]:8888” so it starts up each time without me having to ssh in all the time? 

Edit: What’s the default text editor on the EX2 or am I going to have to install nano / vim? Found can use the usual vim ‘a’ key to start editing a file - so use to nano didn’t think to try that. 

Also just a quick warning, make sure you save btsync somewhere on your hard-drives rather than the flash storage as if not when you reboot it’ll be gone. 

Update:  Been running for a while now and still not crashed (like version 2.0.0 for WD EX2 did) - also it looks like btsync creates all the config files in a .sync folder in whatever folder the binary is run in - meaning that updating it should be relatively simple if the automatic updating doesn’t work.  Only potential issue is that CPU load has rocketed, though I am hoping that is temporary whilst it indexs and cross-checks all the folders.  

my cpu rockets too when i transfer a lot of files over btsync… so i guess nothing we can do about that. I dont know why you went through so much trouble… i just downloaded lates version and was able to install it easily through the dashboard… but im glad it works. :slight_smile:

I noticed that CPU load never seems to dip below 60% now.  Guessing I can fix that within the configuration files.

I couldn’t get sync to work at all through the dashboard install.  With the old verison it would crash within couple of hours and become completely unresponsive.  With the latest version I can’t even get the web gui to load to even set it up…  Tried rebooting the EX2 after the install as well as leaving it for a couple of hours just incase it was slow in loading up but still absolutely nothing.  Noticed that bitsync isn’t appearing within the list of running processes when installed via dashboard compared to setting it up via ssh.

Did it just work for you straight after install or did you have to do anything else to get it to work?

After some fiddling about (honestly for a ‘premium’ product it shouldn’t take this amount of work to get things to function) I discovered there was a few issues with the dashboard install of btsync.  Firstly, as mentioned previously when turned ‘on’ via the dashboard it doesn’t actually turn on.  Secondly, even if turning it on via ssh the web UI still doesn’t show.  Thirdly, I tried copying the files from my own install to the folder where the dashboard installs it and there is something weird going on with permissions as even changing owner recursively to admin:administrators (and tried a few other combinations) it still kept telling me I didn’t have permission to move the files across.  Fourthly the config file (in the settings subfolder) even if changing the default 0.0.0.0:8888 to the exact local IP of the device when running btsync it still listens to 0.0.0.0:8888.

I managed to solve these issues through a simple crontab edit.  For other folk whose dashboard install is not working you might want to give this a try:

1. ssh into the device

2. type ‘crontab -e’ to open the crontab file in vi.

3. hit ‘a’ to enable editing. 

4. at the end of the file on a new line enter ‘@reboot btsync -webui.listen [local.mycloud.IP]:8888’

5. Hit esc then type ‘:wq’ to save and close the file.  

6. Reboot your EX2 and after its finished booting up in your browser try [local.mycloud.IP]:8888 to see if btsync and the web UI are up and working.  

Abe_Stew wrote:

… 

I managed to solve these issues through a simple crontab edit.  For other folk whose dashboard install is not working you might want to give this a try:

1. ssh into the device
  1. type ‘crontab -e’ to open the crontab file in vi.
  1. hit ‘a’ to enable editing. 
  1. at the end of the file on a new line enter ‘@reboot btsync -webui.listen [local.mycloud.IP]:8888’
  1. Hit esc then type ‘:wq’ to save and close the file.  
  1. Reboot your EX2 and after its finished booting up in your browser try [local.mycloud.IP]:8888 to see if btsync and the web UI are up and working.  

This solution doesn’t make sense. Crontab file is discarded on reboot and a new one is created. On reboot your changes to crontab would get lost. I never installed this app but I suspect a reboot cleared something else up that was behind your issue.

Huh, I had forgotten about the reboot issue.  Just checked crontab and edit was still there.  Reset and it’s now gone and bysync no longer working again - until manually typed command that crontab was suppose to do.  Bizarre.  

Anyway I could make a simple script in one of my share folders that I can just quickly double-click after each reboot rather having to ssh all the time?

Abe_Stew wrote:

… 

Anyway I could make a simple script in one of my share folders that I can just quickly double-click after each reboot rather having to ssh all the time?

No, of course that won’t work. Think about it - when you double click the script from say a connected Windows computer, first, the OS is Windows which does not understand shell scripts but more importantly, where you execute the script is where the script will run, if it could run on a Windows machine at all. So even if you were connecting via a Linux machine (which does understand shell scripts), double-clicking the script will cause it to execute on your local machine - NOT on the server. If you want to execute it, your only option is via SSH. Unless, you are willing to modify the firmware yourself and run a modded startup script that includes this step either as a direct invocation or as an edit to crontab file during startup initialization.

I thought that’d be the case - just thought I’d check in case there was some method I was unaware of. Will be taking look at modifying the firmware when I have more time. In meantime going to have to make do with text file with the command so can quickly copy and paste it into ssh.

Just found what looks like slightly better solution. Pro version of JuiceSSH on Android allows home screen shortcuts to connections and save “snippets” for quick pasting of regularly used commands.

Still having fun trying to get BitTorrent Sync to work smoothly.  Current issue is that the NAS seems to be incredibly tempermental on whether it wants to sync any changes to other devices, or even register as online.  Similarly, if I access the web GUI sometimes it decides to show and other times I am greeted by a blank screen (though it does still prompt me for login information either way). The process remains running inbetween phases of it working and not working so it’s not as if its crashing or anything like that.  Anyone else have this issue and / or found a solution for it? 

Edit: Also worth adding I have bittorrent sync running with no problems on three windows devices at home, a windows device at work, and two raspberry pi’s - the latter of which the web GUI loads pretty fast each time I access them.

If someone has not read the policy and privacy statements of Sync app by BitTorrent, one should be aware that their piece of software collects lots of information from the person who uses it.

When I learned this (reading their website) I gave up using it… but I have the feeling (it can’t be otherwise) that WD will soon have some good news in the field of synchronization…