@Bill_S Can you answer this question regarding interchangability?

Disregarding warranty issues and knowing that one would be “walking without a net”, in theory, should the daughterboard from a 500MB Mybook essential  be able to access a functional 2TB Mybook Essential drive?

ie. Are they the same part/firmware…?

Thanks

Mybook Daughterboard interchangability

Options

Thursday

My mybook 2TB took a tumble.  In the process the USB connector was bent and separated from the daughterboard.

I bought a SATA drive enclosure kit with a generic SATA daughterboard, powerswitch, cables…

My system can see the drive, but no partitions.  Ontrack does not recognize the partition type. 

After reading messages here, I understand why.  My drive was setup with a WD daugherboard with WDSW; therefore, it can only be read by the same.

I called WD tech support and the WD store.  They will not sell just a daughterboard. 

Since my only chance of personally managed data recovery appears to be to buy another Mybook, to gain access to a working daughterboard, my question is:

Are the daughterboards the same with smaller sized drives? i.e Will the daughterboard from a 500MB/1TB/1.5TB Mybook work with my 2TB drive?

Thanks

A few things to know.  The bridge boards for the external drives are not generic.  The best way I can say this is that they are constantly “adjusted” during manufacturing.   So, the chance of finding one that might work is extremely slim, and attempting to do so could cause more problems.  Moreover, the fact that the drive took a tumble, could mean that there are other more significant issues, especially if the drive was running.  Our best recommendation is to give Drive Savers a call and see if they can help you.  They’ve been working more effeciently with these types of drives than anyone else.

Bill,

Thanks. This is what I was trying to find out. and what I thought might be the case. I have since low level formated the drive with a generic usb interfacee and it is working fine. Net data loss was small. It was just a nuisances to restore.

I know you are bombarded with quesions/posts and that you have to be careful how you respond. I just wish that WD Tech Support could have/would have answerd my question, instead of “saying sorry, we can’t/won’t address your questions/issues.”    They didn’t like it when I posted an identity stripped version of our email thread on the board.  It has been removed. Maybe if they were more responsive, people wouldn’t get so upset.   Regardless, thanks again for your   response.

Happy New Year

3 weeks ago

A few things to know.  The bridge boards for the external drives are not generic.  The best way I can say this is that they are constantly “adjusted” during manufacturing.   So, the chance of finding one that might work is extremely slim, and attempting to do so could cause more problems.  Moreover, the fact that the drive took a tumble, could mean that there are other more significant issues, especially if the drive was running.  Our best recommendation is to give Drive Savers a call and see if they can help you.  They’ve been working more effeciently with these types of drives than anyone else.