Big Sur Support! FAIL! WD has FAILED the community!

please follow the steps to completely remove older version and try installing again

https://downloads.wdc.com/mycloudhome/WD-Discovery-macOS11-Big-Sur.dmg

This link is working!
Because if you download from this link https://downloads.wdc.com/wdapp/Install_WD_Discovery_for_Mac.dmg
it download not the Version: 4.2.288 but previous Version

Hi, I just installed the updated WD Discovery (no need to uninstall anything as this is the first time Iā€™m trying to connect my Mac to this WD drive). Still, when clicking on the drive icon, nothing happens. I must mention its protected with a pass. Please, do you have any suggestions on how to proceed further on? Big thanks!

I just re-did it with the different steps and made sure that absolutely everything was removed. And restarted the computer multiple times after making the updates. As before, I get to be logged in my drive and able to see what storage capacity remains, but when I click on the drive to see my folders, nothing happens. Nor can I see the WD Drive mounted on my desktop.

1 Like

I donā€™t even see how much is availableā€¦I only see the icon and thatā€™s it.

Bought a MyCloud Home 8TB three months ago, and am unable to access the folders in the MacOS Finder. In Finder it also only shows the Backup folder and no other folders.
In the IOS app I can see how much space is remaining on the drive, and thatā€™s it. When I select the MyCloud Home link it doesnā€™t do anything. I have renamed my MyCloud Home in the IOS app however in Finder it possesses another name, e.g. MyCloud-H04EGC, and it only shows the backup folder.
With only three months use of this device I am considering returning it. I also own two older 4TB MyCloud hard drives and they both still work in the Finder window. It therefore seems that Western Digital is regressing in their support.

It still doesnā€™t work for me even though it sounds like it should. I only see the Time Machine backup folder but I donā€™t see anything else. I can add things through the web interface and on my Windows 10 machine but not with the production version of macOS Big Sur which is what my MacBook Air M1 shipped with (only days old).

After spending about 2 hours or more with 2 tech support colleagues on consecutive days and despite their conscientious and thorough wfforts they could not get my mycloud to stay connected with Big Sur. What else could it be but a problem with MyCloud/WD programming for the interface between mycloud and Big SUr? My MacBook Air which runs the earlier MacOS has absolutley no problem with MyCoud via my home and its connections. Very sad and frustrating since no other apps have that issue.

I have tried all these remedies of deleting previous versions and installing new versions for Big Sur but I still cannot get any MyCloud applications loaded.
We need a simple complete download that fixes all the stray files that need deleting and then installs something that runs properly, not some collection of fixes involving the use of Terminal and checking ports are free. Most of us are not familiar with all the intricacies of programming and need a plug and play solution please WD.
My MacBook and iPad both kicked our MyCloud off after the latest OS upgrade. The MacBook gets stuck at 50% extracting files for the Big Sur installation pack WD are recommending.

OK its a few days on and last night I had an online chat with WD Support. He took me through the process which really was just ensuring all the wd files and folders were deleted, most of which were hidden files on my MacBook so had to be revealed first.
Having done this I had to reboot which meant the chat was discontinued and I was told to download the WD Discovery software from a link. I did this but no luck, it stuck at the same place again - 50% download.
I went back in and deleted all the wd files and folders again and then rebooted to clear them out and then downloaded the WD Discovery for Big Sur version of software as per link in the replies above. This worked. I now have the WD icon in the menu bar, but I canā€™t get in because my email address is not recognised. I tried to get a reset and the message was ā€œan email reset has been sentā€ but there is nothing in my mail, including junk.
So now Iā€™m looking for the next fix on these forumsā€¦

Not happy

angry

I now have MyCloud working on Big Sur on my MacBook to a certain degree.
I have accessed my cloud via the web login and I can see all the files and upload very slowly and create folders etc but I do not see the MyCloud folder under the list of drives in Finder.
If I try to connect to the drive using the direct IP address I see the top level folders but the next level of folders down all have No Entry signs against them and give the message - do not have permissions to access.
Can someone from WD please reply and let me know if this is fixable.

I upgraded to macOS Big Sur when 11.1 was released. Immediately, two of my WD drives were corrupted. I decided to uninstall both WD Discovery and WD Utilities according to the link. But I was still experiencing corruption on at least one drive. I stopped writing to the others. I found that WDDesktop Finder Extensions was running (two instances). I had to search for where this was located as it was NOT documented in the uninstall. I found several WD files and folders in my /System directory and deleted those. After a reboot the WDDesktop Finder Extensions tasks are no longer running and all the problems with my WD drives are gone.

I am very concerned that the WD programs are not ready for Big Sur. I am disturbed that the uninstall instructions are incomplete. I suspect what I found were very old files but any uninstall should include them. Also, on the downloads page, WD Utilities does not list Big Sur compatibility.

I havenā€™t even looked at my WD My Cloud drive but I rarely access it from this Mac.

Like others here I have been having problems getting mine to work, however I have now been able to install it to work on Big Sur 1.1, therefore I wanted to state what I did as although basically the same my slightly different method may helpā€¦
First of all I couldnā€™t get it to go past 50% like everyone else, therefore I uninstalled the old version following the online guide. (I did not find any files in the system folder like jerome_vitner, he did state they may have been old files on his system, however it might be worth looking?)
I tried installing both versions in this thread however neither of them seemed to work, therefore I completely uninstalled them per the manual uninstallation guide above each time.

After this I went to the normal download page and downloaded the version from there.

This version was the one that worked for me, however I did have to do something that I didnā€™t see above, and wasnā€™t mentioned in their offical guide, I have to authorise the installer to update a security certificate (as well as the usual authentication in the security menu).

After this it worked for me, I hope this helps.

HUGE failure by Western Digital! What a f*cking joke!! :triumph: I upgraded to Big Sur on my MacBook Pro and My Cloud Home no longer appears on my desktop. Now I canā€™t get any work done!

I contacted customer support 9 days ago and had my case escalated, but nobody has gotten back to me with a solution. Iā€™ve uninstalled and reinstalled WD Discovery like 20 times.

Iā€™m going to be returning my drive and marking it as ā€œDefectiveā€ since itā€™s still under warranty :rage: The beta for Big Sur has been out since last June so thereā€™s really no excuse. You better be reading this Western Digital!

ā€˜macOs Big Sur was officially shipped on November 13, 2020 after 5 months of bug-fixing on Appleā€™s part.ā€™ , meanwhile on Dec 1, 2020 it was reported on Microsoft support that ā€™ All Microsoft Office apps are crashing after the macOS Big Sur updateā€™

It was reported that those crashes were probably due to disk errors introduced by the Big Sur upgrade and that running Apple First Aid feature of Disk Utility was able to resolve the problem. It is not likely that this option is available to fix the WD MCH hdd(s).

I suspect WD would need some time to sort this out.

Ok guys just got mine, did try all the solutions suggested in this post and still clunky. Should I send it back? What alternatives do you suggest for a 4TB Nas, I really donā€™t care about reaching it from the internet.
Well Not to mentioned I went with WD cause it was supposed to be solid and I had a long time experience with a great My Book.

thanks

I followed the steps to remove WD Discovery, Apple First aid,The key I think is to enable root admin on Mac. Then downloading it and installing as Root admin not admin. Seems to be working fine now and mounted for me and not crashing Big Sur.

This was the full link I used along with the most recent download version of WD Discovery

WD Support Link

1 Like

Yes. I have the same issue on my Apple Silicon Mac.

WD has stated that they donā€™t support ARM based Macs at the moment. Until a fix is available, youā€™re either out of luck or you can use the web interface.

I got tired of WDs lack of urgency with the transition to Big Sur and now M1. They had plenty of time to get everything updated prior to the launch of the Apple Silicon machines, but they chose not to. Iā€™m done with their ā€œcloud solutionā€.

I decided to build my own NAS using a raspberry pi 4, running OpenMediaVault, and two 1 TB drives.

Whatā€™s nice, I had all the parts laying around my house. Setup took about an hour and itā€™s all open source and uses standard SMB.

Once I got it setup, I setup a NetworkShare/ that mounts at boot on all my Macs.

Iā€™m going to transition all the data on the on the MyCloud Home to the RPiNAS, then retire the WD MyCloud drive.

I suggest you do the same. Thereā€™s a lot going for this type of setup that uses standards versus locked down proprietary nonsense.

Sorry WD, you messed up bad and youā€™re losing customers due to your short sightedness.

1 Like