Big Sur Support! FAIL! WD has FAILED the community!

I just upgraded to macOS 11.0.1 Big Sur, and upgraded WD Discovery to version 4.2.288. I found that I could not log in : eternally spinning beachball. I then uninstalled all WD software (Discovery as well as Drive Utilities) via the supplied uninstaller. I discovered that there were some undeleted preference files, and deleted them too. Then I re-installed WD Discovery 4.2.288, and this time, all went well.

Please fix this ASAP, everybody in my office upgraded to Big Sur and nobody can connect to My Home Cloud. So disappointed.

1 Like

WD Discovery support for Big Sur can be found using the following article:

Install WD Discovery for macOS 11 Big Sur

Please use the install package within the article.

Would you mind posting a screenshot of your app working in your macOS big sur… this is the fourth time I am trying to install this . Please stop sending bogus posts to create the nuance of you have already delivered the patch

1 Like

you are not alone… you are conned

Same problems here. I don’t even see my MyBook driver anymore.

1 Like

for all of you who still could not get around with the big sur support issue, please follow the steps below:

1. remove the previous version of wd discovery and desktop by following the steps from the link below:
    How to Uninstall and Remove WD Discovery on Windows and macOS
    you may want to follow the steps on step 7 from the above link to remove everything .

2. install the bigsur.dmg from the following link :
    https://downloads.wdc.com/mycloudhome/WD-Discovery-macOS11-Big-Sur.dmg
    launch the app and then login, this should work for all…
    let me know if this works for you .

shame on WD support for not telling us this earlier.
shame on WD App developers for not developing the installer to remove the previous versions during
the installation of the new version of App.

2 Likes

I have installed the updated WD Discovery for Big Sur and am able to log in to the app, however when I click on my drive to access the folders and files, nothing happens. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and restarting the computer each time, but with no joy. I now wish I’d waited a few more months to update my OS to Big Sur :frowning:

1 Like

please follow the steps to completely remove older version and try installing again

https://downloads.wdc.com/mycloudhome/WD-Discovery-macOS11-Big-Sur.dmg

This link is working!
Because if you download from this link https://downloads.wdc.com/wdapp/Install_WD_Discovery_for_Mac.dmg
it download not the Version: 4.2.288 but previous Version

Hi, I just installed the updated WD Discovery (no need to uninstall anything as this is the first time I’m trying to connect my Mac to this WD drive). Still, when clicking on the drive icon, nothing happens. I must mention its protected with a pass. Please, do you have any suggestions on how to proceed further on? Big thanks!

I just re-did it with the different steps and made sure that absolutely everything was removed. And restarted the computer multiple times after making the updates. As before, I get to be logged in my drive and able to see what storage capacity remains, but when I click on the drive to see my folders, nothing happens. Nor can I see the WD Drive mounted on my desktop.

1 Like

I don’t even see how much is available…I only see the icon and that’s it.

Bought a MyCloud Home 8TB three months ago, and am unable to access the folders in the MacOS Finder. In Finder it also only shows the Backup folder and no other folders.
In the IOS app I can see how much space is remaining on the drive, and that’s it. When I select the MyCloud Home link it doesn’t do anything. I have renamed my MyCloud Home in the IOS app however in Finder it possesses another name, e.g. MyCloud-H04EGC, and it only shows the backup folder.
With only three months use of this device I am considering returning it. I also own two older 4TB MyCloud hard drives and they both still work in the Finder window. It therefore seems that Western Digital is regressing in their support.

It still doesn’t work for me even though it sounds like it should. I only see the Time Machine backup folder but I don’t see anything else. I can add things through the web interface and on my Windows 10 machine but not with the production version of macOS Big Sur which is what my MacBook Air M1 shipped with (only days old).

After spending about 2 hours or more with 2 tech support colleagues on consecutive days and despite their conscientious and thorough wfforts they could not get my mycloud to stay connected with Big Sur. What else could it be but a problem with MyCloud/WD programming for the interface between mycloud and Big SUr? My MacBook Air which runs the earlier MacOS has absolutley no problem with MyCoud via my home and its connections. Very sad and frustrating since no other apps have that issue.

I have tried all these remedies of deleting previous versions and installing new versions for Big Sur but I still cannot get any MyCloud applications loaded.
We need a simple complete download that fixes all the stray files that need deleting and then installs something that runs properly, not some collection of fixes involving the use of Terminal and checking ports are free. Most of us are not familiar with all the intricacies of programming and need a plug and play solution please WD.
My MacBook and iPad both kicked our MyCloud off after the latest OS upgrade. The MacBook gets stuck at 50% extracting files for the Big Sur installation pack WD are recommending.

OK its a few days on and last night I had an online chat with WD Support. He took me through the process which really was just ensuring all the wd files and folders were deleted, most of which were hidden files on my MacBook so had to be revealed first.
Having done this I had to reboot which meant the chat was discontinued and I was told to download the WD Discovery software from a link. I did this but no luck, it stuck at the same place again - 50% download.
I went back in and deleted all the wd files and folders again and then rebooted to clear them out and then downloaded the WD Discovery for Big Sur version of software as per link in the replies above. This worked. I now have the WD icon in the menu bar, but I can’t get in because my email address is not recognised. I tried to get a reset and the message was “an email reset has been sent” but there is nothing in my mail, including junk.
So now I’m looking for the next fix on these forums…

Not happy

angry