Better mkv navigation and movie sheets

I kinda solved both problems for me Sheets are working fine with the minidlna server. Samba shares aren’t useful anyway so I installed minidlna and now sheets are shown correctly. I’ve programmed my remote to send a sequence of commands when I press skip back or skip forward. So pressing the skip forward button on my remote would result in the the FF,ChannelUp,Play sequence that would result in a 10 min jump forward. It is not strictly a chapter navigation but still an improvement. (no, I’m not using standard wdtv remote) Well the only problem left is missing subtitles for bd rips in an mkv container. Does brad (or whatever it’s called) firmware supports them?

PGS subs work when muxed with MKVToolnix. Ripped with MakeMKV don’t show up.

Techflaws wrote:

PGS subs work when muxed with MKVToolnix. Ripped with MakeMKV don’t show up.

I just made a backup this weekend with MakeMKV directly and it put forced PGS subs in the resultant MKV file.  It played fine on the wdtvlive + and showed the subs at the appropriate times.  I’ve only done this with one BD, so was I just lucky?  I thought the WD supports embedded PGS subs. 

Before 1.06.15 no PGS subs inside an MKV worked for me. This firmware supposedly fixed them

* Resolved issue where some PGS subtitles would not display in MKV container

but this applied only to MKVs I had muxed with MKVToolnix. None of my rips made with MakeMKV would display any subs. And I mean, none at all. Before 1.06.15 I had garbled chars popping up every now and then. What movie did you rip with MakeMKV and how are the forced subs done? A separate stream or items from the regular stream flagged as forced and extracted by MakeMKV?

Techflaws wrote:

What movie did you rip with MakeMKV and how are the forced subs done? A separate stream or items from the regular stream flagged as forced and extracted by MakeMKV?

The movie was Ultraviolet, region A.  I am a DVDFab user for a long time, but I’ve been getting more and more frustrated with it’s limitations with respect to making uncompressed MKVs; especially of DVDs (versus BR).  So I only recently starting to play with MakeMKV and am pretty happy with it - but obviously it’s focus is on making MKVs only.

All I did when I backed up this movie was selected the video, audio and the forced subtitle track and left everything else unchecked.  That’s it, and it created a MKV that had the forced PGS subs embedded.  To my surprise I thought they would be in separate files, but they were embedded.  For reference, I’m running 1.06.16B on the Live+, and version 1.6.15 of MakeMKV.  Now if I could only get these forced subs to display on my Samsung TV (using it’s internal DMA) I’d be happy. :slight_smile:

When I get more time, I’ll try some others, but looks like it’s working as expected.

flux242 wrote:
I kinda solved both problems for me Sheets are working fine with the minidlna server. Samba shares aren’t useful anyway so I installed minidlna and now sheets are shown correctly. I’ve programmed my remote to send a sequence of commands when I press skip back or skip forward. So pressing the skip forward button on my remote would result in the the FF,ChannelUp,Play sequence that would result in a 10 min jump forward. It is not strictly a chapter navigation but still an improvement. (no, I’m not using standard wdtv remote) Well the only problem left is missing subtitles for bd rips in an mkv container. Does brad (or whatever it’s called) firmware supports them?

Are you getting moviesheets with the factory firmware (1.0.6.15)?   How are you doing that?

Well as I said - I installed minidlna on my media server. Previously I had ushare installed which doesn’t have this feature. Switching to minidlna solved the problem. And seems like wd implemented dlna spec correctly. For once. And yes you still need to put the sheets into the same folder where your movies are and name them correctly.

flux242 wrote:
Well as I said - I installed minidlna on my media server. Previously I had ushare installed which doesn’t have this feature. Switching to minidlna solved the problem. And seems like wd implemented dlna spec correctly. For once. And yes you still need to put the sheets into the same folder where your movies are and name them correctly.

Ok, just so I understand you correctly.  You ARE running the factory firmware and just using minidlna? or are you using WDLXTV (brad’s homebrew firmware) and using minidlna?  I can’t seem to find any documentation that says movie sheets are supported by minidlna.  And by movie sheets I mean someting like this:

ah no, with movie sheets I meant that you see movie thumbnails instead of the default icon when you browse the collection. It never worked for me before. Either I saw default icon or in case of the smb share I saw all movie thumbs as pictures at the top and then movies as default icons below (sic!). I do not know how to call them correctly because imo they are not thumbnails. Anyway wdtv is a temp solution and I’m going to switch to a nettop with the xbmc on top. I kinda sick of all these lame sigma based media boxes.

Understandable but what about HD support, already fully implemented in XBMC? Also, what remote would you use?

1. I do not know if HD is ‘fully’ supported by xbmc, but it plays correctly all hd titles I created with makemkv. Yes, with subtitles and chapter navigation. It has drawbacks too but nothing prevents me from installing other media software like wmc or boxee. 2. I’m not sure if I understand the question about remote control. Is there a problem with it?

Well, if you build your own PC (Atom-based or whatever) you need to have a remote and a receiver for it, right? Which do you choose and does it work with XBMC?

MikeyC what are you using for movie sheets?

This looks gorgeous.

ZenYoga wrote:

MikeyC what are you using for movie sheets?

This looks gorgeous.

I use Thumbgen.  That’s a template called Lstar337’s ‘Split-Sheet’, which I modified using Thumbgen Designer.  You can get the templates HERE.

ah that. No, remote is not on my ‘big concerns’ list. I already have one of these logitech programmable remotes and it will definetelly work with the xbmc.

Cool. So what about the LIVE and XBMC?