Beta v1.03.40

[deleted] Why is it not in the news ?

It’s probably only intended for a limited subset of users who experienced difficulty installing the previous beta firmwares due to hardware conflict with their TV.

Given that’s the only change listed in the Resolved Issues section, this latest firmware isn’t of any use to anyone already running 1.03.38.

Haven’t tried myself, but there is only one change relative to 1.03.39, which added support for MKV header removal compression, many people asked for that.

Since .39 was not available for non-PLus LIVE boxes, .40 might be worth a shot

.39 release notes are:

• Resolved HDMI screen flicker issue
• Resolved playback issues related to mkvmerge.
• Improved thumbnail caching

This beta release is more than 100MB, while previous releases were about  50MB.

The previous release (1.03.38) included the following files as part of the firmware upgrade:

• wdtlive.bin (~50.9MB)

• wdtvlive.ff (~6.3MB)

• wdtvlive.ver

Firmware 1.03.40 however includes these files:

• wdtlive.bin (51.0MB)

• wdtvlive.ff (~6.3MB)

• wdtvlive.ver (1KB)

- wdtvlive_1.03.40_V.pkg (57.2MB)

- villa_release_note.txt (1KB)

So the file " wdtvlive_1.03.40_V.pkg" with 57.2MB is the one responsible for this release having the double size than the previous one.

Does anyone know what is the " wdtvlive_1.03.40_V.pkg" file?

Thanks!
drds

That file isn’t needed; it’s actually a PACKAGE file containing all the OTHER files.

B-rad said .pkg is included by mistake, it is used for online updates.

By the way, 1.03.39_V was actually in the server (still is, http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlive_1.03.39_V.zip), although unpublicized.

morbidz wrote:

Since .39 was not available for non-PLus LIVE boxes, .40 might be worth a shot

Doh!  I’d forgotten that .39 was only passed around a limited number of people for the Live.

Yeah, this is definitely worth it for the MKV header compression fix.  :)

At it is “public” by now, I’m one of the users that is running .39 for several days.

I haven’t encounter any more “cable not connected” issue caused by bad HDMI handshake. That’s the one that require to power off/on WDTV Live to make it work.

I still have another problem with “No Signal” when switching to HDMI but that’s 100% a TV issue as it happens also on my HD receiver. And it’s not happening every time, so it’s a minor issue.

I haven’t test anything else as this one was my only problem.

I have for a day .40. No bad news. For me it works like .39. So it’s excellent.

From my point - this can be an official release! I’ll keep it in case the official one will bring something bad.

Hi, I updated my WDTVLive to 1.03.40 beta because it supposedly resolves MKVMERGE HEADER bug. Now my WDTVLive does not boot up, and does not show ANYTHING on the screen. I tried putting the old stable firmware (1.02.21) but I cannot recover the device. I tried reseting the player with the reset button and the power cord disconnected with no luck.

I tried a pair of betas before and never had any problems.

The worst thing is that Im in Argentina, so there is no local support for this device. Any help? How can I recover it?  

EDIT: As I cursed WD, I re tried everything again:

1. Disconnected the device.

2. Reseted it pressing 10 seconds the reset button.

3. Connected evertihng again including the pendrive with the rollback firmware (1.02.21).

4. Powered on, prayed the saints, crapped my pants and It worked.

WD Please check WTF happened!!! This beta firmware IS NOT STABLE…

matcarfer wrote:

2. Reseted it pressing 10 seconds the reset button**.**

Just a heads-up that pressing the reset button for 10 seconds or longer switches between PAL and NTSC output modes.

Pressing it for 1 second initiates the factory reset.

It’s mentioned on Page 9 of the user manual (page 13 of the PDF).

Updated to 1.03.40 from the previous official FW. So far, I only see improvements. Very happy, thank you very much.

matcarfer wrote:

Hi, I updated my WDTVLive to 1.03.40 beta because it supposedly resolves MKVMERGE HEADER bug. Now my WDTVLive does not boot up, and does not show ANYTHING on the screen. I tried putting the old stable firmware (1.02.21) but I cannot recover the device. I tried reseting the player with the reset button and the power cord disconnected with no luck.

I tried a pair of betas before and never had any problems.

The worst thing is that Im in Argentina, so there is no local support for this device. Any help? How can I recover it?  

EDIT: As I cursed WD, I re tried everything again:

1. Disconnected the device.

2. Reseted it pressing 10 seconds the reset button.

3. Connected evertihng again including the pendrive with the rollback firmware (1.02.21).

4. Powered on, prayed the saints, crapped my pants and It worked.

WD Please check WTF happened!!! This beta firmware IS NOT STABLE…

Its also a Beta and not yet official. You use it at your own risk.

Tried the update and experienced the same symptoms like matcarfer.

I didn’t see any firmware update progres, waited 5 minutes before unplugging power.

After power on, still no display (except few seconds initial WD sign).

Then I did 10-seconds reset and display was back, and the firmware was updated to v1.03.40.

When I was setting my usual parameters (TV is Sony Bravia 40W4500), I noticed that the 12-bit HDMI doesn’t work (it worked with the non-beta firmware), i.e. display is gone when I tried 12 bit, but returned after some 20 seconds, back to 8 bit.

My conclusion that 12-bit HDMI was the problem in the first place with my firmware update. So, something is different now about 12-bit HDMI setting - it doesn’t work any more with my Bravia.

Pekica

Why are people doing “10 seconds resets”…?  That changes mode from PAL to NTSC.  It has no bearing on HDMI connections.  I’m not even sure it resets the unit in the way you’re expecting.

Press the reset button for 1 second to perform a factory reset, like it says in the manual.

I also used to put my Live in 12-bit Deep Color mode but now, since I was made aware of the complete lack of any media possessing 12-bit color, I leave it on 8-bit.

It does need to be fixed if WD want to keep it as an option though.

Hi, you are right, and I didnt know that, despite that I read the manual :frowning:

Nevertheless, it helped somewhat… I thought I lost my WD…

I updated my WDTV Live to v1.03.40 today and the following happened:

1. First reboot to 720p resolution showing a WDTV Logo… this takes several minutes to go away,

2. Second reboot to 1080i resolution showing a jumbled screen that is only barely readable. It looks like it says that it is updating and is showing a progress bar… but it has a funky rainbow effect , the text is shifted to the right, and every scanline looks doublespaced. I can tell that it is updating but it is not pretty. It counts up to 100% an reboots.

3. Third reboot boots initially into 720p with the WDTV Logo, my screen flashes like a resolution change but it stays in 720p, then flashes again into 1080i with the funky rainbow effect. I was able to tell that the menu was displayed, so I scrolled down to Settings and found my way to Factory Reset.

4. Fourth reboot (after factory reset) and it boots up into 720p and everything is now displaying properly.

I have a Sharp Aquos LC37D40U tv, my WDTV Live was set to 720p before the update… why did it switch to 1080i after the update and show a garbled (but readable) screen?

Quick question as I have not seen a clear answer yet.  For anyone that installed version v1.03.40 on a WDTV Live did it resolve -

• mkvmerge issues above version 4.0?

It does not say in the release notes that it resolved that, but it does say that issue was resolved in 1.03.39 for the WDTV Live Plus, but my understanding is that firmware release cannot be downloaded on the WDTV Live.  Can someone confirm if this resolves the mkvmerge issues?

Thanks,

Sophace

gigxy wrote:

[deleted] Why is it not in the news ?

That wasn’t meant for everyone.  It’s for a very specific type of issue, they wanted to test on a very few people, before doing something with it.