Beta v1.03.40 mkv problems still there

Beta v1.03.40  i updated my wdtv live and tried a known mkv that did not work and it worked tried a diffrent mkv and it played it for all of 15 secs then stopped i was able to ff but again when resumed it stopped after 15 secs, tried the mkv that did work and it now does not as it tells me that this media is not supported. i had to revert back to wdtvlive_1_02_21 then back onto wdtvlive_1.03.40_V to get the mkv that worked to play again? i dont know maybe halfway there with the mkv fix.

I have found that v1.03.40 has fixed the problem with the playing of server .mkv files that were created in MKVMERGE version 4.1 and higher. If you are finding problems playing just one .mkv file, I suspect that this may be another issue with the file other than MKVMERGE compressed header issue.

Since the 1.03.40 thread has been closed I’m asking here: some people on german forums report the 1080p 23,976 Hz setting is missing. What’s up with that?

Problems I noticed:

1. 12-bit HDMI is not working any more for my Sony Bravia 40W4500 - there is no display (it worked with all previous non-betas)

2. HDMI Color Space “RGB High” setting is forgotten (it drops to something else, I can tell because the difference is visible as low contrast  picture) after WDTV and TV are turned off (by remote controller) for a few minutes. BTW, if they are turned off for a shorter time, RGB High remains active.

If you weren’t individually informed (via PM or email) about these “hidden” firmwares, chances are you shouldn’t be using them.

WD are trying to pin down specific issues with these limited release betas and they’re not meant for testing by the wider community yet.

1 Like

PixelPower wrote:

If you weren’t individually informed (via PM or email) about these “hidden” firmwares, chances are you shouldn’t be using them.

WD are trying to pin down specific issues with these limited release betas and they’re not meant for testing by the wider community yet.

Well, perhaps they should put them on secret pages instead of the betadownload page then :wink:

We had to do that in order to give them the ability to back out of the firmware, plus the standard information for how to do things.  Frankly, people should be a little more cautious, and ask about it, before just trying anything as an update.

1 Like

Still no fix for DTS !  

I have lot of mkv and mp4 movies with no sound aac [Digital] ! 

Its funny that movies work in 1.02.21 firmware and have sound in this betas does not work files what i have problem in 1.02,21 with file is not  compatible now works but sound is missing too ! 

Im so dissapointed with this device ! 

Then, you should sell it, buy a different one and be happy with it. No one has forced you to buy a WD TV Live. If it don’t fit into your needs, then you should look for a different player…

Sorry, but I’m getting tired reading such statements…

Cheers,

Zap

oceansoul wrote:

Still no fix for DTS !  

I have lot of mkv and mp4 movies with no sound aac [Digital] ! 

Its funny that movies work in 1.02.21 firmware and have sound in this betas does not work files what i have problem in 1.02,21 with file is not  compatible now works but sound is missing too ! 

I would strongly recommend downgrading back to 1.02.21.  Looking at your previous posts, you seemed very happy with 1.03.38 - perhaps reinstall that one?

The latest Betas are exactly that: betas.  

They have issues and should not be judged as if they are production ready firmwares.  

As far as I know, AAC works fine within MKV and MP4 containers in 1.02.21 (it gets downmixed to stereo and output as PCM).  I don’t recall that being an issue but I’ve used so many firmwares now it gets confusing.  :) 

If you still have problems after downgrading and factory resetting (via reset button, then via Setup menu, then unplugging for 10 mins), create a new thread (or post again in the appropriate Beta thread).  

Make sure you specify:

• how you’re connected (e.g. direct to TV?  Via an amp? HDMI or Component?)
  • whether you’re using network shares or media server
  • connecting to a PC or to a NAS, etc.  

Use MediaInfo to provide text outputs of the files that aren’t working.

bill_s wrote:

We had to do that in order to give them the ability to back out of the firmware, plus the standard information for how to do things.  Frankly, people should be a little more cautious, and ask about it, before just trying anything as an update.

Well you could have used a link like wdc.com/secrettest/eje12712831728327183 for the new zip.

Nobody would have guessed that.

(And I didn’t tell anyone :wink:

Than you cant take care of customer  zaphod42 ! Its not solution like staff of wd tells customer buy new one … etc or that product is not supported like case is with gen1 boxes and also firmware stable doesnt come out 3+ months to fix serius bugs ! 

I pay 2 wd things one is not supported and when i try to found what happens with gen1 i found post that user ask for new firmware and get answer never, i see and now like customer you give tham words of sell tham you are really great staff for support for wd  !

I also own Lacio player and read all things i think that i listen your words to sell tham becouse its equpment worth like you are !

Cheers  

@oceansoul: Sorry, my post was never meant to be an offence against you. So take my apology if you got it wrong. It was more a generic statement.

As for me, I think if I’m getting unhappy with something, I’ll try to change something until I’m happy, or I separate myself from something and try something new…

This unhappy or, as you say, disappointed situation could be a consequence of some wrong expectations regarding the capabilities of the device. And that was the reason for my reply  to your post…

Cheers,

Zap

whattheheck wrote:

bill_s wrote:

Well you could have used a link like wdc.com/secrettest/eje12712831728327183 for the new zip.

Nobody would have guessed that.

(And I didn’t tell anyone :wink:

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.  Unfortunately, I had nothing to do with how this played out. 

whattheheck wrote:

Which would not have stopped any of the select few given this link by support to post it here.

Techflaws wrote:

whattheheck wrote:

Which would not have stopped any of the select few given this link by support to post it here.

I agree. Already users have been told that this was for a select few and even after WD removing the download we have other users posting new links to this firmware. The strange thing is that the users who update are the first to moan when their unit is bricked.

bill_s wrote:> * * *

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.  Unfortunately, I had nothing to do with how this played out. 

Well, I don’t think anybody was bricked, so no disaster.

Thanks zaphod42 i feel bad becaouse i like really wd but this is second device what i buy from wd and first one is not support anymore also have problem with last firmware with hdmi thats standard gen1 without network second is live and in stable firmware i have sound on some file but some give me error not support file for mkv and mp4 than i decide to try beta drivers and on some funny all files work but movies what work on stable firmware doesnt have sound and what i get error corupted file works without sound too on 1.35 than i sow it new one 1.38 and some files play with sound and i think that is fixed and i poted about that after few days i wont to play other file and no sound i read some threads and i get pissed off with answer that i must do something what i never do and i dont no to remux some files i post that support is not good here i sent one mail and feedcback is automaticly that wd staff can do anything !  …

I do like you tell me i give hand of WD and buy apacer AL460

http://emea.apacer.com/en/products/AL460_Full_HD_Media_Player_specs.htm#

Great part for full hd and people who have DTS sound system, also have great dvd menu … BT - Bittorrent download … etc ! 

Im so happy with this ! 

I also left my wd live to see when bugs, mistakes will be fixed for fun ! :) 

have nice day to all