Beta v1.03.22 (updated 6/9/2010) Report from Customer Experience

The purpose of this document (v1 @ 2010-06-19) is to review the recent beta firmware update (1.03.22) and provide recommendations to enhance the final release.

As not mentioned (as of 2010-06-19) on http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_prerelease/ with respect to the Beta 1.03.22 (updated 6/9/2010), USB keyboards (wired, not tested with Bluetooth or other adaptors) work with the WD TV Live unit although limited functionality is available and no official documentation exists.  As such, the following observations will be useful to operating with a USB keyboard:

1. The arrow keys work as the remote Left, Right, Down, and Up arrows do.
  2. The enter button works as the select button does.
  3. The escape works as the back button.
  4. No corollary to the options button (or any of the other buttons) has been found (although all keys have been tried).
  5. Ctrl + Alt  + Del keyboard combination resets the WD TV Live.

With respect to the key choice for mapping keyboard keys to the remote control buttons, the following recommendations are offered:

1. Map the context menu button to the options button
  2. Ctrl + F = SEARCH
  3. Space = PAUSE/PLAY
  4. Numpad 6 = FF
  5. Ctrl + Numpad 6 = NEXT
  6. Numpad 4 = REV
  7. Ctrl + Numpad 4 = PREV
  8. s = STOP
  9. e = EJECT
  10. h = HOME
  11. Backspace = BACK
  12. Alt + F4 = power

A new network issue has developed on switched network with NAS shares: when attempting to browse the network for video by clicking “Select” on the “Network Shares,” button, nothing happens (neither error nor action); the selection remains on “Network Shares,” but no matter how many times “Select” was pressed, no action happened no matter how much time was allowed to transpire (however, the system did not lock up; pressing the up and down arrows changed the selection as expected).  Browsing “Media Servers” is still possible and such servers can be seen as before with v1.02.21.  Rolling back to v1.02.21 (as described on http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_prerelease/) solved this issue completely.

In addition, a nicer display for file browsing that included file names was noted.

In conclusion, the Beta v1.03.22 should not be released until the network issue is resolved as this is a key feature of the WD TV Live.  Emphasis should be put on finishing this firmware update because the additional functionality is valuable and is a selling point.  Documentation for keyboard controls will be necessary as this functionality has been added in this Firmware update and is therefore not available in the product manual.

I wish all of you the best of luck with your WD TV Live units.
Sincerely,
Justin Spratt

1 Like

happy that keybord works, but I notice you that there is a Firmware section. Write there specific topics about firmware

Is just shows how different peoples experiences are. I am running the pre-release firmware and have no problem with connecting to network shares.

Is it true then that USB keyboard can be used with the latest beta firmware?  I long for an easy way to enter youtube searches!

Simon

svpworld wrote:

Is it true then that USB keyboard can be used with the latest beta firmware?  I long for an easy way to enter youtube searches!

Simon

Did you read the first post on this thread?

You can use USB keyboards on the Live (with pre-release firmware) and on the Live plus. It appears you can use certain wireless keyboards as well.

I did read the post, but I’d like to know a bit more if anyone has tried it before I install the update.  The post above isnt clear if its just a few keys that work, or if you can type text into the search boxes etc.  Sorry if my comment annoyed you.

svpworld wrote:

I did read the post, but I’d like to know a bit more if anyone has tried it before I install the update.  The post above isnt clear if its just a few keys that work, or if you can type text into the search boxes etc.  Sorry if my comment annoyed you.

No annoyance just surprise as if you did not believe the poster.

However now you have asked a question. Yes you can type in the boxes and use backspace.

It appears to be mapped to the usa layout (as you may expect)

esc = back

enter = enter

arrow keys = up / down / left / right

home (key pad) = home

pgdn = next

pgup = prev

Also worth pointing out that WD have not mapped any key to function as OPTION, so you’ll need to keep the remote handy.

Very frustrating that keyboard support is (and will remain for some time) incomplete.

A keyboard is actually the fastest way to navigate the Live / Live+ menus; everything is much quicker and smoother using the arrow keys on a keyboard compared to the cheap remote the unit ships with.

this is brilliant news,manythanks for confirming this. Hope v1.03.22 is released soon as a proper update.

:slight_smile: