Beta Release - WDTV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.41_B (12/20/12)

Hello,

I have a WD TV Live and a WD Elements 3TB hard drive.

When I bought my WD TV Live it had firmware 1.06.15 and would not recognise my 3TB drive.

I Googled for a solution and found that installing firmware 1.05.04 should fix the problem - I did

Now along comes a beta firmware 1.06.41 - apparently fixing problems

So…

I installed it on my WD TV Live and it does not recognise my 3TB drive!

I did a reset, but nothing changed

All I can say is thanks Western Digital for wasting my time.

Why? Why make larger hard drives when you are incompetent at supporting them with your media players?

And due to the warning, i must first install 1.06.15 firmware, then install 1.05.04 firmware - fun, fun, fun:-(

UPDATED

Well, I spent half an hour trying to load firmware 1.06.15 - It would not recognise it, I downloaded and tryed several times.

So, I went where not man has gone.  I installed 1.05.04 firmware.  All is good and back to normal

3TB drive works again:-)

************* ATTENTION, IF YOU HAVE A 3 TB HARD DRIVE DO NOT INSTALL THE FIRMWARE UPDATE**********

Since the previous beta and continuing with this one, it seems as if my videos (I’ve tried only .mkv files) start with subtitles on, even though it’s got subtitles as off in the main settings menu.

i’m having no problem with my 3TB Drive (Formated ast NTFS) I use it to stire all my movies on it. i have absolutely no probrem with this on either the hub or the SMP i’m using it through q 7 port Hub! and i never had any probrems since they fixed the problem in the firmware like a year ago! the other problems i have is 3 drives that i store MP3s! but not with my 3TD i do know thats its not a WD Drive! i beleive it’s a verbatum drive.

I concur with the statement above about subtitles. Any movie that starts seems to have subtitles on, even though Default is off in sys settings. I reforced the sys settings to on and off to see if the setting would take. It might have worked as I resumed this .mkv movie no subtitles on. I will confirm if this worked later.

It appears that this beta release has broken the hidden SSID fix from the 1.06.16 release.  Although this may not be a widely used feature, it would be nice to have new firmware not break what was already “fixed” in previous releases.

Everything else that I’ve tried, seems to be working though.

I’ve only tested this release for a few minutes before bed, but all the bugs I could think to check for seem to have been ironed out.

Network shares show up fine after a minute or so.  I was having trouble seeing them under the previous two betas.

Exiting Netflix and then browsing the network shares doesn’t lock up the device. This used to happen in each version prior the last two betas.

The remote works! I’m pretty ecstatic about this one.

Netflix, YouTube, etc. all seem to work great.

I’ll report anything I find that seems amiss, but after poking around for a couple minutes, it looks like this one is a real winner so far!

I downloaded and installed this beta firmware about two weeks ago and have seen some improvement in playing certain video format combinations.

Combinations I have :

•   MKV(x264 video , vorbis audio) : both audio and video play smoothly now as compared to the previous beta.
  • MKV(x264 video , AAC audio) : no change here compared to the previous beta.
  •   MKV(x264 video, FLAC audio): no change here compared to the previous beta.
  •   avi(Divix/Xvid) : no real change here.
  •   Mp3/flac/aac/ogg: no change here compared to the previous beta.

The above mentioned MKV files have embedded Advanced Sub Station subs and although the sub scripts are not completely supported the text is being decoded and displayed although the border on the text is now thicker than before for the ‘thin border’ setting and no longer smooth around the letters.

Personal DVD ISO : menus seem to be functioning normally and movie play back is good.

Playing video files from network share is good.

Navigation of the menus is the same as the previous beta.

Would test internet media streaming if there was support for Crunchy Roll basic account. I have to go through the Flingo app to get streams from CR but it would be nice if there was an actual app that was for CR that worked for even basic(free) accounts on the device.

All in all: pretty good. I installed the 1.06.41_V firmware using a puny thumb-drive formatted to FAT32

and plugged it into the USB2 port on the WDTV Live+. The firmware installed quickly without incident

and rebooted the device properly. I have been using the beta firmware for approx. six days now.

What works:  Installation, Netflix. network-shares, USB drives, HDMI A/V and optical, 801n wyreless,

music and pictures from USB2, *and* WDTV remote for Android  (Google Play for Nexus 7).

The remote app runs great; wife and I really, really love it (again).

What doesn’t work:  The WDTV disconnects briefly (‘Searching for Signals’ for 1-2 seconds)  from the TV,

using HDMI for A/V) just before starting the video under Netflix and Video from USB2 drive, particurlarly

from USB2. This never happened under previous firmware versions. Annoying, but not a killer.
No other notable issues for me.

Raoulf wrote:

What doesn’t work:  The WDTV disconnects briefly (‘Searching for Signals’ for 1-2 seconds)  from the TV,

using HDMI for A/V) just before starting the video under Netflix and Video from USB2 drive, particurlarly

from USB2. This never happened under previous firmware versions. Annoying, but not a killer.
No other notable issues for me.

Are the diconnects when you play a film and after a film ??

If so, it will be the WD telling your tv to change framerate for the file you are playing.

I installed this last night and so far I am very impressed.  Seems snappier all around.  Some MPG files with AC3 audio that I had wouldn’t play right with the old version I was on, they are now fine.

I did have a weird problem with audio being all distorted and weird on a few files but it went away on its own.

So far so good.

So far I’ve never found a way to stop the subs to play by default. 

Secondly, I found that I will loose access to my file server. For example, if the box stays in Netflix overnight, or if I pause a movie for an extended period from my NAS and exit the Video section, I can’t get back into it. I just get the Connecting… I have to shut off the box and turn it back on.

I continue to have issues with Hulu. Sometimes it appears to lock-up. Then I press the Home button and after the icon spins on the screen for a good amount of time it will (most of the time) return to the main menu. Other times I get network errors, there is nothing wrong with my network nor my Comcast Cable internet connection. I consistently download files over 2 megabytes/sec.  and the Hulu app on my Samsung Smart TV hardly ever experiences these types of issues. My WDTV Live Plus box has constantly experienced these issues with each firmware update. I think the previous firmware 1.06.38 was a bit more stable.

Also, I don’t know if it has to do with overheating. Some days I leave the unit on for 12hrs because I forget to turn it off. Sometimes I can use it after being idle for a number of hours, other times I need to physically unplug the unit to reset it for it to respond to the remote. Airflow isn’t the issue, the room is usually 75 degrees or cooler and the air vents on the unit are not obstructed in anyway.

playing large (over 2 hours)MPG files from my WD Sharespace.

After about two minutes the playback becomes choppy and never recovers.

Closing this thread due to new release.