Beta Release - WDTV Live Firmware Version 1.06.41_V (12/20/12)

@Sarastratos

1. Thumbs

This strange behaviour of minimization of pictures connected to media files is still there. If i place there a 1500x1000 jpg its transfered to an 80x120, 105x160, 120x180 or if have luck to an readable 300x450 thumb. Why?

Why ?   For Navigation Speed (and system memory) … a folder full of 1000x1500 Jpeg Covers would be horrendously slow.

(and maybe crash the system as well)

_   _

Vocalpoint wrote:
are you saying that we are stuck with only the **bleep** released between  .41 and 1.05.15 whether we like it or not?

No, he’s not. You downgrade to 1.06.15 and then to 1.02.21 from there.

Note that WD changed the “Roll back” FAQ on 12/21/12 ,and it describes what the new restrictions are regarding roll back of Live and Live Plus units:

How to roll back the firmware on a WD TV Live HD Media Player or WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player
This answer explains how to rollback (revert to a previous version) the firmware on a WD TV Live (WDBAAx0000NBK) HD Media Player or WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player device.
Answer ID:  5800 | Date Updated:  12/21/2012

Techflaws wrote:

No, he’s not. You downgrade to 1.06.15 and then to 1.02.21 from there.

That’s NOT what he said. He said you “might” be able to roll back to 1.06.15 and then back further. Not that you “can” do that.

Furthermore - he goes on to say that even if you do try it - whether successful or not…they will not support it.

So - what he is really saying is “you are on your own if you try anything like this” And of course - it could end two ways. It could work or a guy could brick his device trying this and end up be SOL.

Also - if you check the link posted by Mike27Oct above - you will see an ominous flashing “warning” on that new WD “rollback” page CLEARLY stating that this is - essentially a one way ticket.

Not sure that we are any further ahead here.

VP

Do we have confirmation that match framerate is working now? That’s worth a ‘go’ from me - but I bet the FLAC bug is still there.

Please, could somebody tell me is it possible to listen stereo sound via HDMI on a TV and simultaneously Digital sound via Optical. This is dealbreaker for me because I dont want to power on the audio receiver for watching videos with stereo sound only and also I dont want to always switch the audio output on WDTV live. The last firmware where that was possible was (I think) 1.04.22.

Because of that lousy thing about the rollback I dont want to ruin my box just to try and find out that this is not working.

KR

Will this new update Firmware Version 1.06.41_V be compatable with the WD TV live Plus HD WDBABX0000NBK (This is an older media player)? It is currently running 1.06.34_b. This update has caused problems with networking with my PC. 

If compatable will this newer update correct the networking problems?

Thank you

nikisi wrote:

Will this new update Firmware Version 1.06.41_V be compatable with the WD TV live Plus HD WDBABX0000NBK (This is an older media player)? It is currently running 1.06.34_b. This update has caused problems with networking with my PC. 

If compatable will this newer update correct the networking problems?

Thank you

No.  The Plus is NEWER than the one in this thread.  It will get its own update.

Is there fixed problem with (ntfs?) filesystem that was introduced in latest fw?

I mean problem when sometimes after using usb hdd with wdtv i connect hdd to my win7 and it ask me check hdd for errors. But it usually clean and check doesn’t find any error. Don’t know why this so, maybe powering off via remote without ejecting hdd? may be something else.

And still not corrected russian translation in network settings, broken translation of “clear login info for network share”.

And in accuweather plugin (for example choose f or c in kazan, tatarstan) in english we see:

Wind speed: NW 16KPH when C

Wind speed: NNW 16KPH when F or something.

Switch to russian and plugin show:

Wind speed: 292.5 16km/h

What is 292.5 instead of wind direction?

Still have problem with tune-in plugin, i can’t get soma.fm groove salad channel working, tune-in support just ignores any messages, even choosing another stream of station doesn’t help. In case of android app, this station works fine.

So I just upgraded.  This update is awesome! Had this update only included the Youtube Leanback and WD Remote features, I would have been more than pleased.  As is, I am blown away.  I am also verry happy the HDMI resolution problem was fixed as I just bought an HD TV and noticed the problem just two or three days ago.

I was worried that my WD Live had become abandonware (there hadn’t been a firmware update in some time and newer models had much better features and apps), so I am more than pleased that WD is still taking care of me as a loyal customer.  I hope that when this beta is finalized it will include some of the apps that are included in newer models (Huluplus or Netflix would be a good start).  Also, using the WD Remote app for Android, while amazing, could be improved by having the keyboard selection icon more easily selected.  It was a pain in the butt to get it to activate on my kindle fire.  I got it to work in the youtube and facebook apps (after pressing it many, many times), but failed to get it to work with the new dailymotion app.  One other, though very minor, issue I noticed is that the spinning “loading” sprite in some instances had a transparent background and in others a black square.  The black square is a bit out of place, but it’s no big thing.

Overall, Thank you!  Maybe my expectations are low and I may be comparing apples to oranges, but WD is much better at supporting previous generations of its devices than some Android vendors I know of (*cough* LG *cough**cough*).

PS.  I am a senior at PSU studying CE on the embedded systems track; if there is anything I can do to help improve the quality of future updates, please let me know.

angyii wrote:

Overall, Thank you!  Maybe my expectations are low and I may be comparing apples to oranges, but WD is much better at supporting previous generations of its devices than some Android vendors I know of (*cough* LG *cough**cough*).

Ahh, but LG have beaten WD by fixing their “iplayer” TV/Bluray app first. lol

angyii  >>>>  I hope that when this beta is finalized it will include some of the apps that are included in newer models (Huluplus or Netflix would be a good start). 

You will never see Netflix on a Live, (or a lot of other legacy products, like my 2010 Panasonic TV)  because Netflix wanted copy protection in the processor chip. and that is why the “Live Plus” came out – it had that copy protection.  May be time for a newer unit if it is Netflix you want,.(or a used Live Plus, or a Roku, etc.)

Vocalpoint wrote:

That’s NOT what he said. He said you “might” be able to roll back to 1.06.15 and then back further. Not that you “can” do that.

Furthermore - he goes on to say that even if you do try it - whether successful or not…they will not support it.

And how will they know? Once you’re back at 1.06.15, do you think it “looks different” to a box upgraded to 1.06.15 from 1.05.04 or below?

For the google browser: Is it possible to integrate a simple zoom in/out and a scroll left/right function?

And a “time search” function like in the WD Elements play? Also for youtube videos?

This firmware ist very good I must say. Good job WD!

@JoeySmyth

my question was not “why no transfer to  1000x1500 thumbs”,

the question was “why not all jpegs are transfered to readable  300x450 thumbs”.

Hey guys.

After having dificulties with my network share by using firmware 1.06.34_V I just made a rollback to firmware 1.06.15_V. But the dificulties still remained. So, after reading this thread, I installed version 1.06.41_V and was glad to be able to see my thumbnails for my videofiles again.

After a restart, the network share did not work again. So I tried several things.

The most interesting thing is, that the network share is available immediately after connecting to network via my PC.

I’m using “Windows home server 2011” as my media-server and as a storage for all my videos. Guest-Account is activated. I also tried to set up a separate account for my wdtv, but I have no chance to see any network share and to connect via the wdtv since I’m connecting to my server via PC.

Hello.

I visit this forum very often hoping for good news on new firmwares.

I give a try to this new beta and till now i’m satisfied but i know that network shares could be a problem.

I have a simple pc with XP Home, i’ll call it XPSERVER, and three 2 Tb HDD. XP home use Guest account so you cannot manage folder permission in normal situation and i don’t need to protect my files. I often encountered the classical two problems:

1. Network shares not visible

2. “No media preset in this folder”

After two days of full immersion on this issue i can tell that:

• most of network issue are due to name resolution. I decided to install on XPSERVER  “Dual DHCP DNS Server” and configured only DNS service adding static entries for WDTV and XPSERVER and DNS forwarding. Changed Ip parameters of XPSERVER and WDTV pont DNS to XPSERVER. I can ping WDTV by name and i suppose this can be done from WDTV to XPSERVER.

• i forced XPSERVER to be always the MasterBrowser of my network.

• i reset shared folder permission to Full Control to Administrators, Everyone, SYSTEM (you can do this in XP Home when you are in Safe Mode)

Now i power on my WDTVLive, wait a couple of minutes (shares are not immediately accessible) and i can access my net shares without problems.

This is not the solution for all systems but is just a guideline to solve network issues and, If you cannot ping your WDTV using the hostname (not the IP), maybe you have some :slight_smile:

PS: just Google to find detailed instructions for how to configure this and that

Hi,

I never understood this instructions to roll back firmware. After put the three files (.BIN, .VER, and .FFF) in the root level of a USB drive and then connect it to the WD TV, you’ll never get the “new firmware found” icon. That will only happen if you change the firmware version inside the .VER file to a upper version than the one installed.

Strange that de instructions does not refer this trick! Or am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks.

valente274 wrote:

Hi,

I never understood this instructions to roll back firmware. After put the three files (.BIN, .VER, and .FFF) in the root level of a USB drive and then connect it to the WD TV, you’ll never get the “new firmware found” icon. That will only happen if you change the firmware version inside the .VER file to a upper version than the one installed.

Strange that de instructions does not refer this trick! Or am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks.

You’re doing something wrong.  You’re not downloading the rollback firmware.

The firmware you download from the rollback page is different than the original firmware when it was first posted by WD, in that what is on that rollback page has been changed by WD to reflect that the firmware version has to be a higher number than what is installed on the media players for proper rollback.

So, any rollback firmware you download from the rollback page has a higher version number adjustment within the files.  We do nothing to adjust the version numbers.  For example, firmware 1.05.04_B has been adjusted by WD within the rollback version to be:  2.05.04_B to trick the media player into thinking a different version is on the player.  Once the rollback firmware is installed, it will show the actual version number on the player is 1.05.04_B.

Bottom line: to rollback firmware,  do not use an earlier version of the original firmware you may have downloaded when it was first released.  Instead, download it from the rollback page.  Use it as is; make no adjustments to it.

If this seems confusing, don’t thank me, thank WD.