Best USB Adapter

Looking for opinions/advice on the best USB Adapter.  Would like to get at Best Buy being that it’s the closest store.  I have my WD TV Live Hub set up…wired for now but would love to get rid of the ethernet cables.  i have wireless thru Road Runner Time Warner Cable using a Sony Vaio with Windows Vista Home Edition.  for now i’ve been adding movies and other files on an external drive and then unplugging and plugging the external drive into the WD TV Live Hub for copying over.  Would like to start using the services provided(facebook, pandora, etc) wirelessly.  Also before i go wireless, should i reset my system and set it up wired since i currently only set it up wired to use services then i unplug. 

Do you set it up wired, get all the info and then put the adapter in and take out the ethernet cable?  Sorry if these questions are dumb, kinda a noob to the computer world and learning as i go. 

thank you for any input…Terry  (also, amazing product…)

I bought this adapter and it doesn’t seem to work.  can’t seem to find anything wirelessly:

NETGEAR - Wireless-N USB Adapter for Most Digital Entertainer Live Systems

That one should work as it is in the approved list

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5688

Netgear Wireless USB adapter EVAW111-100WWS Not Listed*

Has your adaptor got a revision / version number on the packet as you one tested by WD did not have a revision / vision number.

Have you tried resetting your hub by pressing the reset button on the underside with a paperclip / cocktail stick. You only need to press for a second and then let go with the hub on. It should reboot. Now try the adaptor.

that’s the reason i bought it…but had to order it online.  i didn’t try to reset anything.  question.  do i need to set up the system wired before i switch to wireless.  i loaded the software on my laptop.  Can i just plug the USB adapter into the WD TV live hub and then go to settings on the hub screen…shouldn’t it find everything automatically.  it didn’t seem to be able to find my ISP, Gateway, or DNS…anything.  Not sure what could be causing the automatic function to not work other than the adapter. 

You should be able to plug it into one of the USB posts and then select network setup - wireless. No need to set it up with wired.

Are you using the latest firmware and as I said before does your adaptor box show revisions or version numbers. the one that WD tested had no revision / version numbers. The adaptor manufacturers like to change the interior chipset without changing the model number which makes it difficult to support these adaptors in firmware. Obviously with the computer you can just update the driver with the disc enclosed but this is not possible with the hub.

1 Like

will it say the word Version?

i see nothing on the actual box the adapter came in that lists any Version or Revisions(these words are nowhere on the box)  The Hub works perfectly wired.  finds everything automatically.  i plug the USB Adapter in, i can find my SSID, i then put in my password and click submit but it can’t find my ISP, Gateway, DSN, etc.  Now question, would this info be different from what it was when it found that info for wired.  I did a  ipconfig /all but can’t even see where this info is stated like it should be.  I’m not even sure i get it…my isp when wired isn’t what my ISP seems to be when i go to a site that tells me what my ISP is.  Is my wireless ISP really called IP4V Address.  Under my wireless i see no straight ISP address

tlh235 wrote:

i see nothing on the actual box the adapter came in that lists any Version or Revisions(these words are nowhere on the box)  The Hub works perfectly wired.  finds everything automatically.  i plug the USB Adapter in, i can find my SSID, i then put in my password and click submit but it can’t find my ISP, Gateway, DSN, etc.  Now question, would this info be different from what it was when it found that info for wired.  I did a  ipconfig /all but can’t even see where this info is stated like it should be.  I’m not even sure i get it…my isp when wired isn’t what my ISP seems to be when i go to a site that tells me what my ISP is.  Is my wireless ISP really called IP4V Address.  Under my wireless i see no straight ISP address

The address you should see is a local address something like 192.168.0.6 with a gateway of 198.168.0.1 

The actual address on your network could be different. However it should be approx the same wired or wireless as it picks both up from your WiFi router. The fact you can see your ssid means that the adapter is working in some way. Are you inputting the correct password for your wifi?

The IP address you get on line is allocated by your ISP and is not in any way related to your internal network address.

So, is your password correct and did you reset your hub as I suggested.

Also did you try restarting (not reseting) your wifi router sometimes the dhcp server in your router stops working or refuses to give an address out, You can always try manually entering ip info. After saving ssid and password it asks if you if you want auto or manual, choose manual and set it 10 address up from your pc, ie if ispconfig /all gives you your address as 192.168.1.10 and your gateway as 192.168.1.1 and dns as 192.168.1.1 set the hub to 192.168.1.20 with netmask 255.255.255.0 and gateway and dns set to 192.168.1.1.

Take that usb adapter back to best buy if you can and buy this 13 dollar one…

I have used three on two live hubs and one live hd and they work perfect no problems.  I have another 5 on order this week.  Just power down the hub, pull the power plug, put in the usb adapter and plug the hub back in.

I will say though that transferring files wirelessly is real slow.

http://www.meritline.com/airlink101-awll6075-golden-n-wireless-mini-usb-adapter—p-38742.aspx

Anyone in the UK got a USB  WiFi Work and can recommend a model? I have loads of problems with the Belkin N F5D8053 ver 1011uk and haven’t got any more to test yet.

I can recommend the Asus - N13 to everyone, it works like a charm both on my PC and my WD Live Hub.

I’ve been so happy with it I’m about to buy another one cause took the one i use off my laptop and now use it for my Hub.

Also note it’s only 20 bucks on newegg.com and 25 on newegg.ca

already returned the netgear adapter…i know i’m not doing anything wrong, has to be the adapter.  will try one that is mentioned above.  thanks everyone for the input.  i’ll let you know the outcome.   Not lookin to share wirelessly as i put all my stuff on an external USB drive and just plug it into the Hub and update it that way…little faster.  just want to be able to use the “Services” wirelessly.

I had bought the TP-LINK TL-WN722N and it doesn’t work…In the supported list they have the TL-WN721N. both models look exactly the same from what I can see but no luck putting mine to work…

Looks like some of the supposedly supported wireless USB adapters are not that supported.

Please post the name model/version of the wireless USB adapters that you have used successfully in the LIVE HUB, it could be helpful to more users.

thanks

Ok if you are in the UK the Belkin N F5D8053 ver 1011uk  does NOT work but the Belkin F6D4050ed ver 1001ed works perfectly £20 from tesco.

This litle micro thing works :wink:

ASUS USB-N10 (didn’t see any inscription about the revision)

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=34quT7gvx7FiSqBg

Bought it today because the TP LINK that I previously had didn’t work

This one is just plug and play. Don’t know about the range yet because I only tested it in the WD HUB with the router about half meter away…

This adapter works good and has a resonable price tag.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RM08RE/ref=oss_product

I went and got a TP Link which had a newer revision that didn’t work. So i exchanged it for one that was double the price, D-Link duaband DW 160. After plugging it in, the wireless performance was so poor I had to exchange it for some vouchers. I had trouble navigating the folders as they were appearing so slowly, imagine streaming a movie from my Mac!

I guess I’ll stay away from USB adapters and figure a way to connect via Ethernet.

leslie11 wrote:

I went and got a TP Link which had a newer revision that didn’t work. So i exchanged it for one that was double the price, D-Link duaband DW 160. After plugging it in, the wireless performance was so poor I had to exchange it for some vouchers. I had trouble navigating the folders as they were appearing so slowly, imagine streaming a movie from my Mac!

I guess I’ll stay away from USB adapters and figure a way to connect via Ethernet.

The speed seems very bad i get 15mb per sec over ethernet and 1.5mb per sec over wifi yet the same adapter in my laptop will do 6 times that, so it looks like the overhead for the usb drivers on wd hub is massive cpu wise. I am going to try one of the wifi adapters that just gives the hub an ethernet port link http://www.businessdirect.bt.com/products/netgear-universal-wifi-internet-adapter-72RF.html 

NetGear Universal WiFi Internet Adapter. If anyone has tried this let me know.

Looks like a good option. I’m guessing since the Ethernet transfer speed is so low, we don’t really need a top of the line access point?