Best software for ripping DVD's to AVI format with full Dolby 5.1

High_Yield wrote:> When you rip using DVDFab, which option do you use ?

• Full Disk
  • Main Movie?

Main Movie cause I don’t see any reason to rip stuff I don’t need anyway. Plus it’s easier for encoders like AutoGK and Staxrip to pick the right title. Plus: only with main movie you can be certain all copy protections have been removed so the encode will have no troubles like sync issues with sound and subs.

I’m confused, why are you guys ripping the movie first to the hard drive? Or did I miss something? Handbrake will encode it to a MKV right off the DVD. I use:

DVD43 (it’s like AnyDVD to remove encryption, but it’s free)

Handbrake

I created my own profile with tips from people in this forum:

Picture Tab: Default

Video Filters: Sometimes Use Deinterlace (slow) setting.

Video Tab: Video Codec H.264 / Target Size 700MB / 2-Pass Encoding

Audio Tab: MP3 (most people will want to change this, I personally don’t care about Surround, DTS, etc)

Subtitles: Whatever you want…

Chapters and Advanced I leave as default

It takes maybe 30 minutes to rip from the DVD to an MKV on my older Quad-Core PC, and the movies look great on either of my 46" LCDs or the 65" in the living room. What would be the benifit to ripping the disc to folders before encoding with Handbrake? Better speed? Maybe my encodes go faster because I am using MP3 Stereo for my audio, I don’t really know.

Heh - you guys and your “Older PC’s” with “quad core”.

My pc doesn’t know what “cores” are - it has a “CPU”, yes, only one CPU running at 1.5 GHz.

But Heavenly, I have a question for you…

You state that HandBrake decodes right from a DVD, yet you also say you use “DVD43”.

So, are you using only Handbrake, or Handbrake AND DVD43 ?

I’m confused (as usual)…

• H

Here’s the thing – when you are running a good decrypter it decrypts the disc for anything – so you can rip to your hard drive OR you can use a program like Handbrake to access the disc without worry.

Most folks rip first to a hard drive for two very important reasons – first, it’s MUCH faster (because a rip is straightforward but an encode has to take the time to repeatedly access the drive over and over and over again).  And, more importantly, you can queue up five or ten encodes and do them overnight or while you’re at work (very important given how much time it can take – hey, don’t let that PC slack off when YOU’RE busy earning money :>).  But you don’t have to do it if you don’t want.

(There’s a third minor issue – wear and tear on your DVD drive.  But they are usually dirt cheap so I’m not so sure how much this plays into it).

High_Yield wrote:

Heh - you guys and your “Older PC’s” with “quad core”.

My pc doesn’t know what “cores” are - it has a “CPU”, yes, only one CPU running at 1.5 GHz.

But Heavenly, I have a question for you…

You state that HandBrake decodes right from a DVD, yet you also say you use “DVD43”.

So, are you using only Handbrake, or Handbrake AND DVD43 ?

I’m confused (as usual)…

• H

I start DVD43, which sits around waiting for you to insert a DVD into the drive. It removes copy protection and encryption on the disk.

Then I open Handbrake and make my MKV file =) I am encoding a MKV of a movie at work on my dual Core laptop, it took about an hour to do a 2-pass encode w/ MP3 Audio.

Hope that helps.

mkelley wrote:

Here’s the thing – when you are running a good decrypter it decrypts the disc for anything – so you can rip to your hard drive OR you can use a program like Handbrake to access the disc without worry.

Most folks rip first to a hard drive for two very important reasons – first, it’s MUCH faster (because a rip is straightforward but an encode has to take the time to repeatedly access the drive over and over and over again).  And, more importantly, you can queue up five or ten encodes and do them overnight or while you’re at work (very important given how much time it can take – hey, don’t let that PC slack off when YOU’RE busy earning money :>).  But you don’t have to do it if you don’t want.

(There’s a third minor issue – wear and tear on your DVD drive.  But they are usually dirt cheap so I’m not so sure how much this plays into it).

I’m going to try this out next time I get a TV Series I want to encode =)