Best Media Server: Mezzmo

All i tried so many media server and found the best is MEZZMO ( www.mezzmo.com)

Current version 2.1.7 is awsome!

Give it a try

Theone01

1 Like

theone01 wrote:

All i tried so many media server and found the best is MEZZMO ( www.mezzmo.com)

Current version 2.1.7 is awsome!

Give it a try

Theone01

Hey, that is pretty cool! Thanks for the heads up! Another good one is Orb, if you want to place shift your media and watch them wherever you are, or share you stuff out to friends so they can watch your stuff at their house, on your phone, etc. And itā€™s free!

http://www.orb.com/

I use it to schedule recording on my HTPC box from work, or watch shows on my phone at lunch, whatever.

I currently use the free version of TVersity :

http://tversity.com/

What does Mezzmo (for $25) offer than TVersity doesnā€™t? Ā 

Looking at the info, Mezzmo doesnā€™t appear to support streaming internet media (like YouTube, Google video, ShoutCast radio, other web streams), which the free version of TVersity does. Ā And if youā€™re going to pay money, the Pro version of TVersity streams Hulu and BBC iPlayer (depending on Region), whilst PlayOn media server will additionally do Netflix.

Iā€™m just curious why youā€™d say Mezzmo was the ā€œbestā€ when itā€™s features list is so sparse. Ā Transcoding is largely unnecessary on the WD TV Live (I have it disabled in TVersity for all shared folders).

How can I play music/videos from web sites like Youtube?

The current version of Mezzmo does not support URL streaming. We are planning URL streaming, URL playlists and RSS feeds for a future release of Mezzmo. For now, we suggest you use our award-winning download manager, DownloadStudio, to download videos and music from popular web sites (including Youtube, Dailymotion, Google Video, etc.). Once downloaded, you can stream them to your TV using Mezzmo.

Ā They want you to get DownloadStudio (for an additional $25), download the videos, and then use Mezzmo to play them. This makes perfect sense, Pixel. Whatā€™s the problem? (Queue insane laughter)ā€¦

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

They want you to get DownloadStudio (for an additional $25), download the videos, and then use Mezzmo to play them. This makes perfect sense, Pixel. Whatā€™s the problem? (Queue insane laughter)ā€¦

You should work for Conceivaā€™s PR department.  ;)

I can personally recommend: Wild Media Server (WMS)

http://www.wildmediaserver.com/

It is very flexible, uses little HW resources and works very well with the WDTV.

I believe it can also stream and/or transcode web content and podcasts.

The only downside is the user interface. The software is ā€˜justā€™ out of beta, and does require a moderately tech-savvy person to set it up and configure it for best results.

I have WMS running on a WHS, and Iā€™m using B-Radā€™s ā€œalternateā€ FW on my WDTV Live with seamless movie sheet support! I have the benifit of a DLNA media server, and the cool movie sheet interfaceā€¦

My 2c

BR

Bertrandr wrote:

I can personally recommend: Wild Media Server (WMS)

http://www.wildmediaserver.com/

It is very flexible, uses little HW resources and works very well with the WDTV.

I believe it can also stream and/or transcode web content and podcasts.

The only downside is the user interface. The software is ā€˜justā€™ out of beta, and does require a moderately tech-savvy person to set it up and configure it for best results.

I have WMS running on a WHS, and Iā€™m using B-Radā€™s ā€œalternateā€ FW on my WDTV Live with seamless movie sheet support! I have the benifit of a DLNA media server, and the cool movie sheet interfaceā€¦

My 2c

BR

This is pay to use software though, right?

Yes -Although I started using it during the free beta trial in the beginning.

I liked it enough to pay for it when it hit 1.0 and became pay-ware. Combined with a WHS and the WDTV, it really ties the whole ā€œsystemā€ together. I tried many free and open-source UPnP / DLNA servers and none of them had the features I was looking for.

I believe you get what you pay forā€¦

BR

question, why would you want to use a media server for anything except hulu/netflix with wdtv live when you can use network share?

dk922 wrote:

question, why would you want to use a media server for anything except hulu/netflix with wdtv live when you can use network share?

Personally I use a media server to stream content to my phone or netbook when I am out messing around. I also place shift my cable TV to my phone or netbook with Orb, so maybe I was confused but I thought we were all talking in more general terms about media servers and not just about using one with WD Live.

dk922 wrote:

Media servers tend to be accessible even when network shares arenā€™t working.

I mostly use TVersity as a backup, or to stream free internet radio (ShoutCast) streams to the Live.

dk922 wrote:

Performance, stability and compatibility of the video playback.

A media server ā€˜streamsā€™ the file as needed to the playback device. It will pre-cache and feed the file to the WDTV live in a easy to render and efficient format over dedicated ports defined by DNLA and UPnP. Most network shares are very inefficient at ā€˜transportingā€™ large data streams in real time. NFS is far better than Windoze based CIFS shares but using a media server is even better.

The other huge advantage to a media server is transcoding, while not that important for the WDTV since it already can handle most formats. A media server can transcode on-the-fly from the source format to a format or resolution compatible to the playback device. A good media server can take a large format, hi-def movie file like a 12gig.mkv and transcode (and stream) it on the fly to fit your iPhoneā€¦

My 2cā€¦

BR