Best drive for NAS with *no* RAID

Hi,
I am designing a NAS solution. WD marketing literature is clear that it recommends using 3.5 Red drives in NAS solutions with RAID. That is understandable since many people choose to implement RAID in NAS solutions. However, I do *not* intend to use RAID at all in my NAS solution, and as a result, I want to make sure I choose the optimal disk for my NON-RAID NAS solution. I have not seen any literature that specifically addresses whether Red is the best solution for a NAS with *no* RAID. Please advise. And if Red is still advised, please advise why – since all the materials I have seen and heard talk about Red’s benefits for a RAID environment specifically.
Thanks in advance! 

biegea

Hello,

I recommend you contact support to get the information you are requesting, However i personally believe the RED line is the best on for NAS devices with or without RAID.

Contact WD

Thanks…

fyi, here is what WD support said:

Our recommendation in your case will be a WD Red drive. The WD Red was manufactured or designed for NAS. It could be your  Personal, Home Office or Small Office.  WD Red can be used in RAID ( RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 ) or non RAID environment ( JBOD, Spanning etc.) without any problems.

The WD Black/Blue/Green were designed for desktop. They may work on NAS but a good performance is not guaranteed. 

Mostly, a NAS allows a set of users to easily share data across a common network. WD Red hard drives are designed specifically for that scenario. NAS with WD Red drives allows you to store your media, files or system backups and access them securely over the Internet with any computer. Protect your data with wireless backup for all the PC and Mac computers on your home network.