Beginner

Hi all, I will be getting my WD TV Live later this week and haven’t a clue what I’m doing!  The main reason I have gone for this is the whole ‘Theming’ but I wouldn’t know where to start.

Are there any good tips/advice on where to start?  I don’t know what linksheets are etc and how east is it to setup my harddrive?

At the moment I have moviename.mp4, moviename.JPG and moviename.xml using a program called WDTVHubGen.  is this wrong for the WD TV Live?

Thanks

If you want help…I think it would be good to make it clear what device you are getting. WD’s way of naming devices has been the cause of much confusion. So to save a little of that, as we have enough:

There is a WDTV Live Hub with a hard drive inside

There is WDTV Live SMP (Streaming Media Player)

Which are you setting up?

I believe it is the SMP - WDBGXT0000NBL-UESN

Ok, so I think I’m going to try the Simplicity theme by DeVicious.

So I’ve imported the bundle to ThumbGen and I’ve ran through my list of films using the theme to match covers and moviesheets.  This has generated a cover in the same directory, and created a moviesheet in a folder on the root called LinkSheets.

Does this sound right so far?

My structure looks like:

Linksheet

→ 300_moviesheet.jpg

→ Braveheart_moviesheet.jpg

Movies

→ Action

-----> 300.mp4

-----> 300.jpg

-----> Braveheart.mp4

-----> Braveheart.jpg

Incorrect

Here’s how Linksheets work

SHEETS FOR FILES: Rename the Moviesheet with a File Extension that matches your Movie File.
eg. If you have… Watchmen.mkv then Rename your Moviesheet to Watchmen.mkv then cut and paste it into your Theme Folder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SHEETS FOR FOLDERS: Rename the Moviesheet with NO File Extension
eg. If you have… MYMOVIES folder then Rename your Moviesheet to MYMOVIES then cut and paste it into your Theme Folder.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The File Path to Place Moviesheets is the Root of your Theme folder (ie. where all the Theme XML files are)
.wd_tv\theme\My Theme\ [Place Movie/LinkSheets here]

So … here’s how it should look

Linksheet

.wd_tv\theme\Simplicity</strong>

→ 300.mp4

→ Braveheart.mp4

Movies

→ Action

-----> 300.mp4

-----> 300.jpg

-----> Braveheart.mp4

-----> Braveheart.jpg

Here’s anothe example of a Theme with Linksheets … the *.mkvs are not “Movie Files” they are “Linksheets” *.jpg’s renamed to *.mkv’s (accordingly to match the real *.mkv’s movies on my hdd)

note the file path to the theme  (ignore the P:&nbsp; that’s the drive letter of my WDTV Live Hub your’s may be different)

linksheets.jpg

1 Like

Thank you, that makes brilliant sense and has probably saved me a whole load of time :slight_smile:

+Kudos

@Bane17

I thought i’d better mention, the above info is for the WDTV Live Hub (forgot you have an SMP)

The WDTV SMP has a 30MB Linksheet limitation

But, KAD79   has developed Firmware that runs off an inserted USB stick that solves this limitation

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8707&start=0

The Principle is still the same (put linksheets into a theme folder) … only the Procedure is different (ie. WDTV Live Hub requires no hacks … the SMP does)

1 Like