Before you pack up your WD and return it, let's talk about Copying Speeds!

from the original post:

======================================================================

Workarounds

I have two other posts that solves these problems (for myself). If you are uncomfortable about voiding your warranty because they do involve SSH’ing into the device and making software changes, then don’t attempt these suggestions.

My workarounds is very simple and that is to disable the two processes immediately after plugging in your device and as soon as you can ssh into the device. Otherwise the scanning will resume and your device will soon disconnect shortly after.

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable

update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable

===================================================================================

Ralphael, great write up and I wish I had read your post first.  I’m still dealing with WD scanning software adversely impacting my file transfer performance.  Is the “fix” above permanent or is it something I would have to run every time I reboot my WD My Cloud?  I am looking for a permanent fix to this problem. 

BTW … contrary to what others have posted in this thread - disabling media serving per share does not address this problem.  Nor does disabling Twonky, iTunes or remote cloud access.  The scanning, indexing and thumbnail conversion software still runs and it doesn’t care where on the drive … it looks at the entire drive.

Thanks.