Before you pack up your WD and return it, let's talk about Copying Speeds!

An inexpensive gigabit ethernet switch would do it. 1000Mbps-T seems to be enough.

well, that’s a good question, if you give the WD a static IP, it might work … I don’t see why not.  A definite maybe.

here you go… a youtube lesson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwyaneWJJc

Good evening Raphael,

Thanks for the speedy ( very unlike WDcloud) reply!

I have my Cloud attached to my router and an external HDD attached directly to the Cloud and… speed reads 604Kb/sec.

My 1TB of data is going to take 10 days or more to get transfered…

So I just wanted to p^lug the cloud into my PC and transfer directly from my PC.

Will this help ?

Best regards

Harold

Harjac wrote:

Good evening Raphael,

Thanks for the speedy ( very unlike WDcloud) reply!

I have my Cloud attached to my router and an external HDD attached directly to the Cloud and… speed reads 604Kb/sec.

My 1TB of data is going to take 10 days or more to get transfered…

So I just wanted to p^lug the cloud into my PC and transfer directly from my PC.

Will this help ?

Best regards

Harold

Good Morning Harjac

There are not too many times that connecting directly to your PC gives you any additional benefits.

If you are using wifi and cannot connect via ethernet to your PC, or if your router doesn’t have gigabit ports, it makes sense to connect directly  to the PC and do a mass file copy and be done with it. Then afterwards small file copies, read and writes are relatively quick regardless of using wifi or 100MB routers.

The only other exception is to test whether you are losing connection because of the cloud itself or not getting the optimal speed thus bypassing the router completely.

One thing to note is that whenever I do the initial massive data transfers (every few years when I buy a new NAS), I do them in blocks of files rather than doing it ALL in one go. If the copy fails, I hate determining where and how to restart.

Now remember all small file copies are terrible no matter if you are connected optimally, they are just terrible. I mean files like photos, mp3, ebooks, documents… yeah I just named all the files that we normally copy. They all drop down to 2-3 MB/s copies because each file has to find room on the directory list, allocate a block of hard disk space and so on. It is like picking up peas from the floor, one at a time.

Movie files are fairly quick and you usually get the 40MB/s to 45MB/s writes. 

So before you start changing how you are connected, test the speed of copying a large movie file of 800MB. If you get about 30 to 40MB/s copy speed, then there is no other speedier method than what you have.

Regards too

Don’t plug the USB HDD into the MyCloud.

Even WD recommend that, for bulk data transfers, you plug the USB HDD into the PC, and transfer files via the PC (it’s in the manual, in Appendix B, p113).

The USB port on the MyCloud might have USB3 compliant hardware, but the processor cannot transfer data at anywhere near USB3 speeds.

cpt_paranoia wrote:

Don’t plug the USB HDD into the MyCloud.

Even WD recommend that, for bulk data transfers, you plug the USB HDD into the PC, and transfer files via the PC (it’s in the manual, in Appendix B, p113).

The USB port on the MyCloud might have USB3 compliant hardware, but the processor cannot transfer data at anywhere near USB3 speeds.

although very true of what you said cpt_paranoia, there are some circumstances where usage of the USB 3 port at the back of the cloud is preferable like my Mac mini which has lowly usb 2 ports only.

Thus using the cloud USB 3, which my “My Book” is connected to, I can get reads of up to 75MB/s then send it back to “My Cloud” at write speeds of 40MB/s.

If I SSH to the “My Cloud” and initiate a copy command from “My Book” to “My Cloud” I actually get 40MB/s copies. Note this is only true if it is a “My Book” connected. When a unknown brand (actually Vantec Raid Stripe 0 with USB 3 speeds of 140MB/s when connected to a PC with USB 3) is connected to “My Cloud” it slows the whole connection down to a measley 20MB/s copy or there-abouts. 

You won’t get USB 3 speeds but you will get a decent network speed which is only 5MB/s slower then accessing the “My Cloud” itself.

It was the first test that I performed last year to ensure that the “My Cloud” was growable in a manner of speaking through the USB 3 port.

If you do have a USB 3 port on your PC, then by all means plug it in.

I did some similar tests using cp via SSH, and got some pitiful results; they’re on a thread somewhere… It seems to be something of a lottery…

cpt_paranoia wrote:

I did some similar tests using cp via SSH, and got some pitiful results; they’re on a thread somewhere… It seems to be something of a lottery…

Buy the right ticket then :-p

it has to be the wd my book USB 3 otherwise lottery

the thing is that I’m sure it gets a USB 3 read and write speed but I think it limited by the CPU within the cloud thus the max of 35MB/s writes and I think 75MB/s reads. 

I bought one of these last week and have suffered enough with it already - many lost hours.

I tried the SSH tips on this thread and that did allow me to at least put some data on the drive (USB3.0 drive uploading via Gb network). I only put 300Gb of movies on it and it just chokes ALL THE TIME. I restrated the services and let it index - it finally stopped after a day. And now it just sits there being unresponsive, not showing up on any of my DLNA players and being uber slow at everything, even the management UI or Twonky UI.

I’ve had enough and bought a Sonology so thw WD My Cloud is going back - or imay video myslef beating it with a hammer and upload it to YouTube.

Really disappointed TBD. It needs so much more refinement.

I’m soooooooo disappointed in Western Digital for this device.  I can upload a 4.0 GB folder full of photos to Dropbox in 49 seconds and it take 9 minutes and 52 seconds, or 12 times as long to upload the exact same folder to my wire connected  WD My Cloud.  Yes it is connected at 1000 mbs or Gigabit.  I’m on my second replacement (read 3d device) and so it’s brand new (may be recertified), but clean and empty.  It took approximately 20 and 1/2 hours to upload 406 Gb of photos.  including RAW and jpg, with a few PSDs thrown in.  I love WD hard drives but I hate this thing.

2 Likes

BullRhino wrote:

I’m soooooooo disappointed in Western Digital for this device.  I can upload a 4.0 GB folder full of photos to Dropbox in 49 seconds and it take 9 minutes and 52 seconds, or 12 times as long to upload the exact same folder to my wire connected  WD My Cloud.  Yes it is connected at 1000 mbs or Gigabit.  I’m on my second replacement (read 3d device) and so it’s brand new (may be recertified), but clean and empty.  It took approximately 20 and 1/2 hours to upload 406 Gb of photos.  including RAW and jpg, with a few PSDs thrown in.  I love WD hard drives but I hate this thing.

Try all the trouble shooting steps including a direct pc to cloud ethernet connection to determine why you are getting the slow speeds… There are many many happy users out there including myself and I have two 4tb Clouds now.

I just bought my 2nd 4TB cloud yesterday and I’m currently copying from Cloud to Cloud. I got 62GB/s throughput yesterday for movie files and today I’m getting 32GB/s for photos.

Raphael

What method are you using to copy files between the two My Clouuds?

RAC

rac8006 wrote:

Raphael

What method are you using to copy files between the two My Clouuds?

RAC

explorer, drag and drop… 

That means that each file has to be copied twice.  Once to the PC and once back to the other My Cloud.

You ever consider using a sript to copy directly from one My Cloud to the other?

RAC

I think we went through a similar conversation somewhere in this post.

yes it is true that it does bring the data in then sends it back out again, but the bottleneck isn’t so much in the data routing as so much as the write speeds of the second cloud.

The max throughput is still going to be 62MB/s writes for movie files and 32MB/s writes for photos.

I also have a USB 3 drive that is full of the same data of which I could use to read in then copy over to the new Cloud but after starting up the copy, just for fun, I noticed that I got great speeds given that my previous write tests maxed out at 45MB/s so any speed that is equal or greater than 45MB/s is really a max no matter how you copy.

Anyways… this is all a one time copy. Once I backed up the old cloud (twice really, one copy is on the USB and the other copy is on the new Cloud), I’m going to upgrade my old cloud fw 3.04 to OS3.

Then what I plan to do is perhaps leave photos on one cloud and media on the other with plenty of room for future growth. Not a bad upgrade for only $160.  

Hallo i have also the problems with copy speed
I use in the past Firmware 3.0 and was able to copy with SSH and “cp” from my usbdisk very fast from my USB disk to the WD cloud
But at this moment with FIRMWARE 4.0 very frustrated take hours !!.
I am in a point that i will decide to go back to firmware 3.
I notice the problem is already a long time from the begining of Firmware 4 so WHY is WD Cloud not reacting ? I saw may users reply’s but why is WD Cloud not listing
Because also make save point is terrible
Greetings Avdstege

Ralphael
One simple question:
I notice that you copied from Cloud to Cloud or from Pc to Pc connected ofcourse with the Cable .
But what are you last result of copy from connected USB drive at the Cloud with the “SSH” “cp” methode direct ?
Thanks for al response.

hello avdstege,

so I read your message on my iPad in bed and decided to get up and test out the ssh cp speeds tonight since I was tossing and turning anyways. :stuck_out_tongue:

On both, one is on 4.04.00-308 and the other is 3.04, the copy from USB to Cloud is 50MB/s and from Cloud to USB FW4.04.00-308 is 45MB/s and FW3.04 is 40MB/s.

I have no USB speed problems but they are My Books 4TB connected to both Clouds.

I do know that if you have a 3rd party USB drive like Vantec, the speeds can drop down by half down to 18MB/s writes and 23MB/s Reads.

This is something you have to ask WD. My guess in order to get this fixed you have to have a lot of people complaining.

Hello Ralphael
Here it is not night it is here 15:00 pm.
But thanks you are coming out of your bed :).
I have a buffalo USB 3.0 drive and it was working very well as i say with firmware 3.0
Copy from the USB disk connected to the WDCLOUD with the SSH “cp” command.
But i will try also to disable first the services as you speak in the thread here.
And try again with the "time cp… " command.
Also i will test it with network copy
I keep informed about status
My Firmware is the latest because i want to use the NZBGET 15 version for Firmware 4x.
And that is working very well.