Before I finally throw mine out, is there any reason to keep a WDTV Live Hub?

I just found my old WDTV Live Hub in the back of the closet. t hasn’t gotten a firmware update in 2 years. It’s missing too many of the online services that I use every day, like Amazon. I pulled the hard drive and installed it in my desktop machine about a year.

It was a great little gadget that was probably ahead of its time–and I still love the UI–but I think it’s time to recycle my WDTV Live Hub, but before I do, is there anything I can do with it?

I have a Roku, a Chromecast and a Raspberry Pi 2 with Plex. (These are on different TVs throughout the house.)

I know you can’t put XBMC (sorry, Kodi) on a Hub. There is alternative firmware for some WDTV boxes, but I can’t find anything one that works on a Hub. I tried selling the Hub on eBay (before I pulled the hard drive), but I couldn’t find any takers.

Is there anything I can do with the Hub that I can’t do with a Roku or a Chromecast or a Raspberry Pi just as well if not easier?

If nothing else, is there a trick to saving the default background image? The Live Hub really does have the best UI of any streaming device I’ve tried, and I’d love to reuse that image somehow, maybe as a background for Kodi.

Heck, are there any parts, other than the hard drive, that I can recycle and use on other projects?

I don’t like the idea of pitching any gadget if there’s still some life left in it.

put another hd in it, format it within the hub, resell it, err no useful parts…sell it as multimedia sensation box

notmyrealname wrote:

If nothing else, is there a trick to saving the default background image?

You can unpack the firmware file and get all the images out of there.  I haven’t looked, but it might even be the in the GPL package.

notmyrealname wrote:If nothing else, is there a trick to saving the default background image?

right-click “save image as”

I don’t use my Live Hub much either … but i do have a 3TB usb drive attached to it, which the WDTV Live Hub media shares (via Twonky) to my other devices eg. phone, tablet, Rpi2 etc

p.s. if you’re gonna throw your WDTV Live Hub away … you can throw it my way :smiley:

1 Like

JoeySmyth wrote:

notmyrealname wrote:If nothing else, is there a trick to saving the default background image?

right-click “save image as”

I don’t use my Live Hub much either … but i do have a 3TB usb drive attached to it, which the WDTV Live Hub media shares (via Twonky) to my other devices eg. phone, tablet, Rpi2 etc

p.s. if you’re gonna throw your WDTV Live Hub away … you can throw it my way :smiley:

Yeah! That’s what I did with mine. Pulled the drive and installed it in my Zotac BI320 and moved ALL my music to it then added it to my Kodi library! Then I gave the Hub to someone that really loves the device and his had died. So he put his Hub’s drive in it and is loving life again!

I’ll take it!

Have been in the mood to watch my 4:3 content on my CRT TV in my game room. Was trying to think how to stream my Plex content to it and I remembered I had my Live Hub in a drawer. Pulled it out, connected through composite, connected an ethernet cable (yech) and bewm…streaming my fav old shows like Fresh Prince, News Radio and Home Improvement in 4:3 streaming goodness which looks nice on my old Sony 27" Trinitron than watching on a 4K TV.

And If I don’t want to stay connected by ethernet, i could throw a 2TB drive in there and just copy all my 4:3 content to it…but remembering how painfully slow it copies files over, I’ll stick to streaming it through DLNA from my Plex server

So that’s one reason to keep it :slight_smile:

I also saw there were old Roku versions that had AV out to connect to composite…i’m curious if that means I can easily connect to composite and it will display 4:3 content correctly (connecting my 4K Roku stick through an HDMI > AV adapter > Composite and watchign through Plex, there’s no option to scale/stretch the image so there’s black bars on the side of 4:3 content). People are asking ridiculous prices for them on Ebay now…as much as $150-200. Happened to find one for 38.99 NEW…so we’ll see if that works too.

Your 2nd comment contradicts the 1st.

Black bars on both sides of 4:3 content is the correct way to display 4:3 Aspect Ratio on a 16:9 TV.

The incorrect way to display 4:3 content on a 16:9 TV is to use scale and stretching options which result in losing image information and distorting the image.

I should have clarified that I’m connected to an old CRT 4:3 TV and hoping that the Roku with Composite with display 4:3 content correctly on my 4:3 TV as opposed to the non composite optioned Roku not displaying correctly connected thru an HDMI to composite AV adapter.