Basic Question-Operation of backup software as drive nears capacity

How does the software operate as it approaches full capacity? Are older backups deleted to make room for new ones? Do old ones get archived on a less frequent basis, i.e., weekly or monthly? Thanks.

@Kevint1
What are you using to do your backups with? I use SmartWare. It is hard to answer a question if one does not know what is being talked about.

Thanks for responding. I took it as a given that I was using WD Backup, my mistake. I have it set for daily backups of a specified set of directories. I’m using a 4 TB drive that is essentially full. It just today produced a message that it couldn’t complete the backup because it did not have enough space. This is on a PC. I have a Mac and the software I use there retains hourly backups for x days, daily backups for x weeks, weekly backups for x months, etc. The WD software doesn’t seem to have any way to set that. I’d gladly switch to different software if you have one that works better. Thanks.

I don’t know about WD Backup, my My Cloud is the 1st generation and since I use SmartWare I have it set to three copies. See example image below.

Have you checked to see if WD Backup has this type of option?